Easterseals Academy is a therapeutic school that provides schooling for children with an autism spectrum disorder, emotional disability, developmental delay, or intellectual disability. School districts refer students to Easterseals Academy where the schools provide an alternative school placement for these students to help them to achieve independence. Easterseals Academy has three campuses, located in Chicago, Machesney Park, and Tinley Park.
For more information about our organization, please visit us online at www.eastersealschicago.org.
The primary responsibility of the Paraprofessional is to ensure the health, safety, and well-being of each student by actively initiating and supporting all aspects of student plans. The paraprofessional is accountable for supporting the student’s team in all aspects of individual programming. The paraprofessional is responsible for implementing Active Supervision in all settings. This position includes the possibility of frequent changes in student and/or classroom assignments.
This position is located at the Easterseals Academy - Machesney Park Campus at 8301 Mitchell Road, Machesney Park, IL 61115.
- Follow through with activities, materials, and prompting hierarchies across all settings in alignment with the assigned student’s IEP throughout the entire school day while fully participating in all aspects of the classroom schedule
- Prioritize and completes tasks with maximum follow-through
- Consistent with implementing students’ IEPs, including, but not limited to: Behavior Intervention Plans and Communication systems (AAC, PECS, etc.)
- Collect daily data for assigned student(s) related to behavior intervention plans, communication systems, and other needed data as determined by the student’s team
- Adhere to all aspects of Active Supervision
- Engage in the use of approved crisis prevention techniques
- Implement all Teacher/Clinical/Administrative recommendations
- Communicate with the student’s family/guardians, as directed by the classroom teacher
- Maintain confidentiality, privacy, and dignity of students at all times
- Participate in ongoing training including all in-house training, relevant team training, and additional training, as assigned
- Adhere to all mandated reporters and OIG guidelines
- All other duties as assigned
- High School diploma or equivalent
- State Approved Paraprofessional License
- Ability to perform all functions necessary to obtain and maintain certification in agency required crisis prevention and intervention training, and CPR
- Ability to multi-task in a high-stress environment, while maintaining professional behavior
- Ability to communicate professionally and demonstrate respect for all staff members
- Ability to demonstrate warmth and respect while communicating with students
- Ability to interact with diverse personalities
- Adhere to all Easterseals policies
ADA: Easterseals will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disability Act of 1990. Unless exempted by the Americans with Disabilities Act, all persons hired for this position are required to possess the ability to perform the physical tasks necessary to treat clients, i.e., bending, floor-sitting, etc., as well as to have the ability to lift up to 50 pounds frequently.