Location of Position: Marin Headlands, Sausalito, California
Reports to: Director of Pathology
Position Classification: Seasonal externship
Benefits: No benefits
The pathology resident rotation is an opportunity to for anatomic and clinical pathology residents in established programs to gain experience in marine mammal anatomy and pathology. Rotating residents will provide postmortem data on our patients and select carcasses, which consist of phocids, otariids, and the occasional cetacean and sea otter. During their time at TMMC they will be become familiar with marine mammal gross necropsy and histopathology including classic diseases.
This position requires at least a minimum of 2 weeks with openings year-round.
- Performing gross necropsies, writing necropsy reports, trimming in cases, and evaluating histology from cases and writing associated reports after review with pathologist.
- Opportunity to aid in gross necropsy instruction with veterinary students.
Qualifications and Experience
- Anatomic or clinical pathology resident in a pathology residency training program.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position and move in an office and laboratory. environment for extended periods of time.
- Ability to climb stairs and move around the facility for extended periods of time.
- Ability to operate a computer and other office equipment 90% of the time.
- Ability to walk/cover up to 5 miles during a shift on a frequent basis.
- Ability to frequently move equipment weighing up to 50 pounds across site and locations.
- Potential exposure to zoonotic diseases.
- Potential exposure to formalin.
- Exposure to sharp instruments and needles.
- Working in outdoor weather conditions and elements 10% of the time.
- May involve strong smells associated with dead animals and the care of animals.
- Standing in one place for long durations of time.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
The Marine Mammal Center actively engages individuals from all backgrounds. We are committed to embracing diversity within our organization because we firmly believe that diverse employee teams help us to achieve our best organizational outcomes and provide the most effective support to the communities we serve. We are deeply dedicated to creating and maintaining an inclusive, equitable and supportive work environment. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. The Marine Mammal Center believes in growth and supporting our employees as best we can so they can become their best selves in and outside of work. We believe that a healthy work environment means building an inclusive culture where people can thrive together and feel supported and empowered. We believe in stretch versus constraint.
The Marine Mammal Center advances global conservation through marine mammal rescue and rehabilitation, scientific research, and education.
ABOUT THE MARINE MAMMAL CENTER
The Marine Mammal Center is leading the field in ocean conservation through marine mammal rescue, veterinary medicine, science, and education.
For more information, please visit our “About Us” page at www.marinemammalcenter.org
To Apply: Please submit a CV and 2 references.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and candidates are reviewed as they apply.
Note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
In your cover letter, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).
We strongly encourage people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. The Center is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
Research has shown that women and people from marginalized communities apply to roles when they meet 100% of the job requirements, versus male applicants who apply if they meet an average of 60% of the requirements. If you think that your skills are transferable and can add value to this role, please apply so we can determine whether it’s a good fit.