Position Title: Nurse, Extended Services – Part-Time (Fri/Saturday 12 hour Shifts)
General Statement of Duties: Reports to the appropriate Home Hospice Team Leader. Triages phone calls from patients and families needing assistance when the office is closed. Coordinates with home hospice staff to complete home and hospital visits as appropriate.
1. Provides a consistent high quality hospice experience for every patient and family served by:
a. Triaging phone calls to identify patient and family needs. which requires:
b. Monitoring and coordinating with extended services staff to complete home and hospital visits as appropriate
c. Complying with established extended services policies/protocols and maintaining visit/call log
d. Understanding of the service areas
e. Maintaining accurate knowledge of all scheduled extended services and on- call staff for the program
2. Notifies Admissions Services on-call staff of referrals received and obtains pertinent information on patient/family needs and insurance.
3. Provides direct patient care which requires
4. Utilizes the nursing process and coordinates with other IDT members to provide for the physical, spiritual, psychosocial, financial and bereavement needs of the patient and family.
5. Communicates proactively with appropriate Manager on Call/designee to ensure patient needs are met and smooth program operation.
6. Coordinates with consultant pharmacist and attending physician to optimize symptom management.
7. Maintains continuity and consistency of care by:
a. Recording all pertinent information in a concise, effective manner according to organizational standards.
b. Completing documentation in the patient’s electronic medical record by the end of the assigned shift.
c. Providing hand off communication according to established policy and procedure.
8. Practices safe medication management according to professional standards which requires successful completion of medication mathematic skills competencies.
9. Promotes consistent, high quality patient care and team operations by:
a. Functioning within Coastal Hospice care model in meeting team goals
b. Supervising and delegating to LPNs, hospice aides, and volunteers on the same assigned work day.
c. Maintaining effective relationships with contracted facilities and supporting joint collaboration.
1. Current license to practice in Maryland as a Registered Nurse
2. Ability to work independently, efficiently and to make sound nursing judgments utilizing critical thinking skills with a minimum of direct supervision
3. Superior physical assessment skills
4. Current CPR certification for Healthcare Provider (BLS )
5. Sight, hearing and manual dexterity to function with or without prosthetics use that will enable these senses to function adequately to fulfill the requirements of the job.
6. The ability to lift, push, pull or move patients, equipment, supplies, etc. in excess of 50 pounds with or without the use of adaptive/assistive devices.
7. The ability to negotiate level and unlevel surfaces with or without the use of assistive devices.
8. Access to a vehicle
9. Valid driver’s license with good driving record
10. Evidence of personal automobile insurance for a minimum of $100,000 single occurrence/$300,000 aggregate