The Captive Animal Law Enforcement (CALE) division of the PETA Foundation’s legal department is seeking a licensed veterinarian with captive wildlife experience to join our multidisciplinary team of lawyers, veterinarians, captive wildlife specialists, and other professionals working to end the exploitation of wild animals in roadside zoos, circuses, and other traveling shows.
Our team gets laws enforced, develops ideas for innovative litigation, influences policy, brings media attention to PETA’s work, and encourages the public to speak up for captive animals languishing in squalor. We’ve rescued tigers from Joe Exotic and other Tiger King hellholes, prevented sleazy shopping mall aquariums from opening, stopped circuses from exporting endangered animals for their shows, and more.
The right candidate will be able to use professional expertise and experience, particularly with wildlife, to investigate, advise on, and intervene in a wide range of abuse and neglect cases, including drafting complaints and comments to regulatory and law-enforcement agencies. They will help develop PETA's campaigns, including those for wild and exotic animals kept in roadside zoos, circuses, and similar captive exhibits. They will have strong writing skills and a demonstrated commitment to animal rights and to PETA’s mission to dismantle speciesism (the misguided belief that humans are superior to other animals and therefore may oppress and exploit them).
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• In consultation with PETA and in verified compliance with the objectives, standards, and requirements communicated by it:
o Review and advise on specific cases of animal abuse and neglect, including at roadside zoos, circuses, and similar captive facilities
o Travel as needed to assess potential abuse and neglect and evaluate the conditions of at-risk animals in a variety of captive environments
o Assist in determining best courses of action in accordance with veterinary standards and recommend improvements in care for captive animals
o Conduct research and draft materials to advance PETA's animal protection campaigns
o Develop and maintain relationships with other veterinary and animal welfare experts, keepers, whistleblowers, sanctuaries, professional associations, and government agencies and coordinate their engagement in specific cases and legislation
o Develop and execute plans to effectively mobilize PETA members and activists to contact elected officials, businesses, and sponsors regarding issues affecting captive animals
o Advise on specific cases of animal abuse and neglect for other client departments and PETA affiliates as needed
o Monitor and support legislative efforts and the development of industry guidelines to ban, restrict, or improve conditions for captive animals
o As needed, develop written public comments on captive-animal legislative issues and deliver testimony at legislative hearings
o Present PETA's positions to the media
o Maintain confidentiality at all times
• Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor
• Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Degree or equivalent
• Sophisticated working knowledge of medical and welfare issues affecting captive animals
• Ability to handle cruelty complaint calls in a professional and confidential manner
• Proven exceptional writing and research skills
• Demonstrated excellent proofreading and organizational skills
• Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills, tact, and diplomacy as well as the ability to communicate effectively
• Proven ability to maintain professional working relationships
• Proven ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize work
• Professional appearance and demonstrated exceptional public-speaking skills
• Ability and willingness to travel on occasion
• Must be at least 21 years of age and have a valid U.S. driver's license, a minimum of three years of driving experience, and a satisfactory driving record
• COVID-19 full vaccination and booster recommended
• Support for PETA's philosophy and the ability to advocate PETA's positions on issues professionally
• Commitment to the objectives of the organization
The salary range for this position is $75,000 - $86,000 annually. The ultimate salary within this range that will be offered to a qualified candidate will be determined based on the candidate’s experience and the cost of living in the area in which the candidate will live and work.
A list of benefits available to qualified employees is available here.