Community Legal Aid is a non-profit law firm that believes all individuals should have the opportunity to control, improve, and enrich their lives and the communities in which they live. Legal Aid advocates provide free civil legal help to low-income residents in eight counties in northeast Ohio.
Legal Aid is hiring a Paralegal for its HelpLine Project. This person will be clients’ first point of contact with Legal Aid. They will interview applicants to determine eligibility. The successful candidate will be a compassionate customer service professional, savvy with technology, detail oriented, and able to work under pressure.
HelpLine Paralegals work in a high-volume call center environment, frequently speaking with clients in distress. They work extensively on the telephone and computer and process referrals from other organizations. HelpLine Paralegals also work in a rotation to cover Legal Aid’s receptionist duties, including answering phones, assisting walk-ins, and processing incoming and outgoing mail.
Reports To: Managing Attorney
Salary: $30,300.00 + DOE. Excellent working environment and benefit package.
Deadline: Open until filled.
Community Legal Aid Services is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Demonstrated interest in and sensitivity to the legal needs of low-income individuals as well as motivation to improve the condition of low-income individuals,
- Commitment to Legal Aid’s core values of diversity, empathy, justice, leadership, professionalism, respect, and transformation,
- Ability to work effectively in a high-pressure call center environment,
- Ability to learn new technology quickly,
- Desire to represent Legal Aid and to advocate for its mission,
- Proven professional attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, dependability and a high desire to contribute to an effective and collaborative work environment,
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality,
- Ability to work independently, Excellent analytical and organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines,
- Strong oral and written communication skills,
- Willingness and ability to occasionally work flexible hours (such as early evening or Saturdays)
- Notary public or ability to become one immediately following hiring, and
- Ability to speak Spanish is highly desirable.