U.S. Soccer Overview
The next 10 years serves as a moment in time unlike any other for the sport of soccer in the United States. With the sport thriving and U.S. Soccer’s Senior, Youth and Extended National Teams achieving success on and off the field, and the FIFA World Cup on U.S. soil in 2026, there has never been a better time to join the soccer movement.
We’re looking for an inspired and experienced creative leader to continue to evolve and elevate U.S. Soccer’s brand. An accomplished storyteller, this person will be responsible for bringing U.S. Soccer’s brand to life across all fan and audience touch points utilizing multiple mediums. This individual will guide and mentor industry leading talent within U.S. Soccer’s newly formed creative suite. As part of a passionate team of creators, you will steward U.S. Soccer’s brand, lead creative development (concept through to execution), collaborate with internal and external stakeholders, agencies and freelancers, and continue to define the voice of U.S. Soccer’s brand and drive soccer relevance among next generation fans.
The position will require an innovative and forward thinking storyteller who has the capacity to ideate and work collaboratively with cross-functional teams, who thinks on their feet and operates quickly yet purposefully in the fast-moving and complex global soccer environment. This is someone who aspires to creative excellence and will help lead the organization in pursuit of bold creative, brand and business goals.
The right candidate will have a track record of developing industry leading and culturally relevant creative and cultivating talent, excellent project management skills and experience leading and optimizing processes, prioritizing workloads and projects to achieve maximum impact. This person will have outstanding interpersonal and communication skills – gaining an understanding of organizational priorities, anticipating needs, setting expectations and clearly communicating feedback. They will excel at developing strong working relationships with internal/external teams and building trust, while managing multiple work-streams often with competing priorities.
- Responsible for the creation and production of all U.S. Soccer creative assets across the marketing mix to ensure brand and business goals are met within budget and at pace and scale
- Build and foster a creative center of excellence with U.S. Soccer’s newly established creative suite to inspire industry leading work and a culture of cross-functional collaboration
- Champion and steward the development, expression and implementation of U.S. Soccer’s brand narratives within the organization and externally in the marketplace
- Lead and develop team of internal creatives, external agency partners and robust freelance network to ensure U.S. Soccer is delivering industry leading creative
- Drive department-wide processes that create efficiencies and maximizes team effectiveness and impact
- 10+ years brand creative and design experience. At least 5 years managing designers, video producers, and/or copywriters.
- Ability to inspire and cultivate audience and brand led creative with the big-picture consumer journey in mind.
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Adobe After Effects or Adobe Premiere.
- A strong portfolio featuring a wide range of culturally relevant creative demonstrating a solid understanding of brand, diversity of ideas and approaches to problem solving.
- Experience leading teams on multiple projects with varying timelines and various stakeholders.
- Exceptional communication and listening skills. Building trust and being able to give feedback in an effective, efficient and respectful manner is a must.
- Excellent understanding of digital best practices (website, app and social media). Event branding experience is a plus.
- Strong collaboration skills. Ability to work up, down and across functional areas.
- Proficient with Asana (or other project management tool), PowerPoint or Keynote
- Must be willing to travel and work unconventional hours for competitions and events
- Must reside or be willing to relocate to Chicago by January 2023
- Demonstrates a genuine desire and passion to contribute to the growth of soccer in the U.S.
- Ability to unlock and apply audience insights through qualitative and quantitative data to inform brand and creative development
- Experience working within a team environment and/or with athletes
- Passion for working in and growing the sport of soccer
- Bilingual Spanish
Working at U.S. Soccer is a unique opportunity. Employees who work at U.S. Soccer have the following attributes:
- Embrace and see learning as a lifelong pursuit
- Possess a growth mindset—keeps an open mind and seeks new challenges
- Practice self-assessment and self-reflection
- Open to criticism and does not make excuses
- Possess a tireless work ethic
- Wants to be part of a team that wins
- Has the ability to be firm but fair
- Communicate in a direct, open and honest manner
- Build relationships through genuine interpersonal skills
- U.S. Soccer has mandated the Covid-19 vaccine and is requiring all staff to be fully vaccinated at the start of employment