U.S. Soccer Overview
We are the future of sport, and our mission is to make soccer the preeminent sport in the United States. We are one of the most inclusive sports in the world and take a fan and audience centric approach to engage our audiences around shared passions to unite the nation and drive the growth of the sport. We seek motivated, passionate, skilled people who can think, create, and work as part of a team.
The next 10 years serves as a moment in time unlike any other for the sport of soccer in the United States. With the sport thriving and U.S. Soccer’s Senior, Youth and Extended National Teams achieving success on and off the field, and the FIFA World Cup on U.S. soil in 2026, there has never been a better time to join the soccer movement!
U.S. Soccer is looking for a seasoned digital and content leader to help define the future of digital for U.S. Soccer. This individual will oversee U.S. Soccer’s digital and content strategy, planning, packaging, and distribution of multi-format content across multiple digital touchpoints. They will take ownership of U.S. Soccer’s owned and operated platforms with a focus on creating industry leading digital destinations that fuel passion for soccer and drive relevance among U.S. Soccer’s next gen fans. With content and digital operating as an even bigger and more critical driver of future value and growth, this person will serve as a pathfinder within the marketing department to help drive the vision and direction for U.S. Soccer’s digital ecosystem, consistent with Federation goals.
Reporting into the VP of Marketing and working closely with multiple stakeholders across the organization, the Sr. Director Digital will partner with Creative, Communications, Technology and Media teams and create a 365-entertainment engine for U.S. Soccer. A natural storyteller, this individual will ensure U.S. Soccer’s narrative and that of our teams and players are relevant, resonant, and accessible to current and prospective fans. This person will be creative and curious, process driven, data led, and relationship oriented and has an ability to think and plan strategically in collaboration with others.
- Responsible for owning U.S. Soccer’s digital strategy and execution across owned and operated platforms including but not limited to dot com, U.S. Soccer app, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, Snapchat, Twitch and more
- Leads strategy, planning, promotion, project execution and distribution of written, video, photo and audio content.
- Maps the consumer journey to align digital touchpoints with relevant and resonant content and experiences that further fan affinity and drive fan growth
- Responsible for refining and implementing planning tools and repeatable processes to optimize productivity and profitability
- Partners closely with brand and creative to bring U.S. Soccer and the U.S. National Team narratives to life
- Works in collaboration with Corporate Partnerships, Business Development and other key stakeholders to monetize existing content and maximize commercial value across our owned channels and third-party sites
- Collaborates with third party distribution platforms and influencers to extend narratives and reach beyond owned channels
- Works in concert with Analytics on learning plan, forecasting and tracking performance to ensure data and insights drive strategic development and decision making. Must have a clear vision and continual focus on measurement – what metrics matter and how will you use them?
- Coordinates with Event Marketing and Analytics to develop strategies to drive web, app and social traffic through paid search, paid social, email marketing, etc.
- Build, manage and mentor growing team of internal content, social, and digital experts
- Partners with the Digital Product team to ideate amazing fan experiences and ensure product roadmap aligns with commercial goals
- Champions cross-functional collaboration to create a culture of cooperation and teamwork across various U.S. Soccer functions and environments
- 8+ years of experience with digital strategy and creation and proven ability to use content to further brand and business objectives
- Passion for creativity, storytelling, and elevating brands through digital media
- Exhibits a genuine desire and passion for growing soccer
- Innovative mindset that will push boundaries to deliver unique content and value for fans in a crowded market, while also adhering to brand standards and maintaining a consistent voice
- Hands on experience in management, ideation, production and/or execution of breakthrough, compelling, and creative content
- Strong understanding of digital media, including all types of content, social media, websites, etc. as well as the content distribution landscape and the advantages of different distribution strategies and platforms
- Leads with data to develop and optimize strategy. Proficient in web analytics tools such as Google Analytics or Adobe Analytics.
- Adept at finding signal and evaluating how content themes and distribution affect engagement (Google Analytics certification is a plus)
- Hands-on experience with enterprise content management systems (editing and publishing)
- Attention to detail, strong organizational skills, and ability to navigate complex projects on varying timelines
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Track record of leveraging culture, technology, and digital trends to drive relevance for brands or properties
- Experience building, managing and leading high performing teams
- When not traveling for work, able to work out of U.S. Soccer’s headquarters in Chicago, Illinois
- Able and willing to work non-traditional hours including weekends, evenings and holidays as needed
- Bilingual Spanish
- Previous experience in sports and working with high profile athletes, coaches and teams
- Makes leadership and development of others a priority
- Embraces and sees learning as a lifelong pursuit. Possesses a growth mindset—keeps an open mind and seeks new challenges
- Communicate in a direct, open, and honest manner
- Open to constructive feedback and does not make excuses
- Possess a tireless work ethic
- Has the ability to be firm but fair
- Builds relationships through genuine interpersonal skills
- Proficient with Asana or other project management tools
- U.S. Soccer has mandated the Covid-19 vaccine and is requiring all staff to be fully vaccinated at the start of employment