Streetsense is looking for a dynamic Director, Human Resources who will focus on enlivening our People First culture and work to provide the best experience for employees, candidates, and alumni. You will creatively collaborate with the Head of People Experience and other Senior Leadership to identify key needs and drive change from the ground up to accelerate Streetsense through its next stage of growth and development. As Director, Human Resources you will oversee the HR function by providing strategic and tactical support. Key responsibilities include but are not limited to culture building, performance management, recruitment, retention, change management, benefits, training, HR compliance, and leading diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
This role will be an integral part of the Streetsense leadership team and serve as a strategic partner and trusted advisor to our People managers, contributing to overall company strategy and goal-setting processes. You are an empathetic employee advocate possessing compliance and tactical HR skills and knowledge. With the support of our Head of People Experience, you will supervise a small HR team including a Talent Acquisition Manager.
This role is based in our DC Headquarters and requires in office collaboration 3-4 days per week.
Strategic HR Process + Projects
- Develop and deploy strategic processes to streamline and make the people part of work easy.
- Help to improve our HRIS, support business operation tools, as well as provide effective training and reinforcement systems for users.
- Assist in maintaining and improving People-related policies (e.g., Handbook), procedures and practices to ensure compliance.
- Own and champion processes to facilitate leadership development and key talent retention efforts such as career-pathing, performance feedback, coaching/counseling/corrective actions, employee recognition and rewards, and talent review.
- Lead and/or supervise the day-to-day processes including onboarding, offboarding, promotions benefits administration and open enrollment, records updates, and compliance matters
- Successfully monitor the "pulse" of the employees to ensure a high level of employee engagement.
- Remain current and knowledgeable in the internal and external compensation and work competitive environments
- Identify process bottlenecks early and resolve quickly
- Lead strategic HR projects as assigned such as annual compensation planning surveys, annual renewal of benefit plans, merger, and acquisition support, etc.
- Manage the cadence of People-related activities, milestones, and celebrations, and maintain the company calendar
- Partner with outside resources to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements and legislation for all assigned business lines
- Work with outside partners to support and manage special leave and accommodation requests including FMLA and ADA and any local Paid Family Leave programs
- Review and update Employee Handbook as needed
Development + Coaching
- Guide orientation and ramp-up for new employees in assigned business lines ensuring a focus on both function and culture
- Provide tailored and insightful coaching to supervisors and employees
- In collaboration with supervisors, deliver and document performance coaching focused on genuine desire to help employees thrive
- In collaboration with outside resources, support effective, thorough, objective and expeditious investigations
- Provide guidance and input on business unit restructures, workforce planning and succession planning
- Help supervisors develop and deliver effective individual development plans to high potential employees
- identify training needs for business units and individual executive coaching needs and direct to appropriate internal or external resources and follow up to ensure training objectives are met
- Support performance and development programming and career mapping, skills, and leadership training programs
- Support bi-annual compensation and performance evaluations
Branding + Culture
- Develop and support the Streetsense employment brand and culture through design, development, implementation, and administration of HR initiatives and programs aligned with business requirements which will enhance the organization’s employee loyalty and overall success
- Propose and deliver on initiatives that have high employee impact
- Conduct thoughtful exit conversations with departing employees and use data to improve brand
- Collaborate with Finance to provide input on benefit plan design for health and welfare programs and 401K packages
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or related field, and/or equivalent experience
- 5+ years’ experience resolving complex employee relations issues
- Working knowledge of multiple human resource disciplines, including recruitment retention, diversity, performance management, and compliance
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) credential or similar
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with demonstrated acumen managing sensitive information while remaining mindful of various stakeholder priorities
- Collaborative spirit and interpersonal skills
- Must be a self-starter and driven with an exceptional attention to detail
- Good organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent communication (written and verbal)
- A passion for innovative Human Resources solutions and process improvement with a demonstrated ability to think analytically and develop creative solutions.
- Track record of aligning with business goals and recommending new approaches, policies, and procedures to provide continual improvements in business objectives, productivity, and development of talent.
- Able to communicate all types of messages in all mediums.
- Enthusiastic team player with a strong drive to create a positive work environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe, Zoom
- Previous experience with Human Resources Information Systems preferred, and/or willingness to develop proficiency
Streetsense is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.