Select Sires Inc. seeks highly motivated applicants for a position of Computational Genomics Scientist. The ideal candidate will perform a central role within the Genomics team to lead the acquisition and organization of genetics and genomics data, maintain existing pipelines, design new pipelines to analyze and visualize genomic data and participate in industry oriented-research activities. This will require an in-depth knowledge and understanding of genomic data handling, database management systems and computer programing. The successful candidate will be required to communicate effectively on use of genomics technologies/methods with the sire acquisition team, partners, and customers.
The Computational Genomics Scientist position is based in Plain City, Ohio. The position will report to the Director of Genetic Research and Technology.
Specific duties and responsibilities of a Computational Genomics Scientist include, but are not limited to,
- Serve as a positive representation of the Select Sires, Inc. Mission: To enhance the productivity and profitability of dairy and beef producers, Select Sires is committed to be the premier provider of highly fertile, superior genetics accompanied by effective reproductive- and herd-management products and services.
- Ingesting, quality check and organizing genetic and genomic data from different sources
- Maintaining and optimizing existing Select Sires’ genomics platforms
- Develop fully automated pipelines for analyses and visualization of large genomic data
- Work with R&D team to determine data needs and assist with genome-related research activities
- Use statistical models including machine learning on variety of phenotypic data types to drive genetic insight
- Summarizing genomic analysis results and, generating reports for delivery of results to stakeholders
- PhD/MSc degree in animal breeding, genetics or computer science is required, with preference for PhD
- Good understanding of breeding programs in livestock and analyzing large genomic data
- Excellent programming and informatics skills (such as SQL, python, C++, Linux shell scripting, or similar programming language)
- Proficiency in Linux environment for handling and analyzing big data
- Experience in developing and maintaining pipelines for genomic data analysis (e.g., imputation and prediction) will be highly regarded
- Excellent interpersonal, communication skills and team-working attitude are essential
- Familiarity with database management systems and networking is a plus
A Computational Genomics Scientist’s typical work schedule is Monday through Friday 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM. Work schedules and duties are subject to change to meet departmental needs.
Select Sires, Inc. is a drug-free workplace. All applicants will be given full consideration but are not guaranteed an interview.