The Woodlands Youth Supervisor / Ecological Zone Gardener upholds and implements the policies and standards for ecological restoration and sustainable ecological horticulture in Prospect Park as set forth by the Landscape Management team, carrying out the duties of the Eco Zone Gardener, and overseeing and managing the Woodlands Youth Crew program.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY JOB OUTCOMES - Woodlands Youth Supervisor
- Perform outreach for the program, interviewing and selecting participants
- Plan projects and supervise Woodlands Youth Crew in Prospect Park
- Ensure the safety of the Woodlands Youth Crew while on the job
- Train participants in proper tool use and work techniques
- Keep track of participants’ time sheets in Paylocity and evaluating them on their work
- Provide students with a larger environmental and educational context for their work through hands-on education and field trips
- Plan, implement and report on each season of the woodlands youth program, using tools such as Google suite, Microsoft suite, and the ArcGIS platform
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY JOB OUTCOMES - Ecological Zone Gardener
Volunteer Management & Public Engagement
- Train, work with, and instruct volunteers, interns, and program participants in all skill-related responsibilities
- Interact with the public to help resolve issues, provide information, and answer general park questions
- Coordinate, track, lead, and document work completed by volunteers and interns in Prospect Park
Restoration & Maintenance of Park Landscapes
- Participate in vegetation control in all areas of the park by hand-pulling, and using power tools
- Prepare and maintain planting sites by clearing and removing debris, raking and leveling soil, implementing erosion control techniques, and/or digging holes
- Prune trees and shrubs as required for project goals, safety, and aesthetics
- Cut, clear, and remove debris in landscape as a result of storms or general tree aging.
- Plant and/or seed prepared areas
- Install, maintain, and/or remove fencing, woodchips, signage, and rustic rails
- Remove litter and clear blocked drains
- Remove hazards in the park and/or mitigates hazardous situations
- Assist crews from LMO and M&O when necessary for emergencies, special events or special projects
- Remove snow from assigned areas as needed
Planning & Documentation of Park Landscape Work
- Complete zone survey on a regular basis and, in consultation with the manager, make plans for upcoming work
- Record daily records of work completed and time in/time out and works with manager to make sure these are entered into the work tracking database
- Record on a regular basis progress towards goals laid out in zone surveys
Vehicle, Equipment, Tool, & Workspace Operation & Maintenance
- Operate vehicles (e.g., truck, utility vehicle, tractor), power equipment (e.g., chainsaw, string trimmer, mower, brush hog, woodchipper, and hedge trimmer), and various hand tools in a safe manner
- Maintain an inventory of tools and equipment and communicates with the manager about additional tool and equipment needs
- Maintain and clean vehicles, tools, equipment, and shared workspaces as per standards set out by manager
- Document and communicate issues with vehicle, tool, and equipment safety to manager as they arise
Performs other job-related duties and functions as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Education, Ecology, Forestry, Horticulture, Natural Resources, Environmental Studies, or other related discipline or the equivalent years related field experience with youth, social services or natural areas management
- A minimum of one (1) year experience in the restoration and maintenance of landscapes and one (1) year experience in education or youth development
- A valid NYS Driver’s license
COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Personal Attributes)
- Passion for the Alliance Mission & Core Values: A passion for public parks and environmental conservation combined with a commitment to treating others with respect, appreciating individual differences and embracing the values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Ethics & Integrity: Earns the trust and respect of others through a consistent commitment to integrity, honesty and professionalism in all interactions.
- Landscape Management Knowledge: Proficient in plant identification for northeast US region, use of landscape tools, experience with ecological restoration and/or sustainable ecological horticulture. Proper planting and pruning techniques.
- Machinery Operation: Competence in mechanized equipment and safe vehicle operation is essential. The ability to safely operate and maintain various equipment including but not limited to weedwhackers, push lawnmowers, hedge trimmers and any job-related tools is required.
- Health and Safety Comply with relevant health and safety legislation and regulation and organizational policies. Manages risk including the identification of hazards, assessment of risks and implementation of control measures. Manages own safety and that of others.
- Communication Skills: Ability to communicate with colleagues and members of the public.
- Collaboration & Teamwork: Committed to working in collaboration with others, promoting cooperation and commitment to others and being a positive team contributor.
- Customer Service: Exhibits a strong commitment to delivering excellent and responsive service to internal and external stakeholders.
- Self-Management & Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to be detailed-oriented, and ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-pace environment.
- Decision Making & Problem Solving: Seeks information and input to fully understand the cause of problems. Draws logical conclusions. Takes action to remove obstacles and address problems before they impact performance and results. Makes effective decisions about work task priorities based on level of authority. Assesses risks before deciding; does not take unnecessary risks.
- Project Management: Contributes to setting work priorities and direction. Recommends additional resources that would improve effectiveness and helps others access required resources.
- Results & Impact Focus: Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and highly motivated to consistently produce high quality work and achieve desired outcomes and results.
- Organization & Accountability: Meticulously well-organized with diligent attention to detail, ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and takes pride in consistently producing accurate, timely and quality work products with minimal supervision.
- Technology: Proficient with automated technologies that support area of responsibility including G-Suite and Microsoft Office Suite.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work is normally performed in the field which subjects the employee to various external elements including potentially adverse weather conditions and some exposure to moderate risk of accident/injury requiring following basic safety precautions. Additionally, involves frequent exposure to challenging elements such as extreme dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, loud noises, chemicals, etc. and exposure to potentially hazardous substances, or other significant job environmental risks
- Requires operating a motor vehicle; operating equipment where carelessness could result in injury; standing for extended periods of time, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, lifting, pushing, pulling and/or crawling; use of manual dexterity and fine motor skills and use of a desktop, laptop or video display terminal
- Requires manual labor with moderate physical exertion (consistent need to lift, push, pull, carry, etc. up to 50 lbs.). May require special safety precautions, such as working around moving parts, machines or with irritant chemicals, and may require use of protective clothing or gear
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms
Diversity Makes Us Stronger Together: Prospect Park Alliance serves park users of all socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and strives to reflect this diversity throughout our operations and in our leadership, staff, stakeholders and supporters. We know that by creating an equitable and inclusive workplace built on mutual respect and the appreciation of difference, our employees will feel safe to express themselves, voice their opinions and work together to find common ground and solutions. Integral to this vision is our longstanding commitment to provide equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.