Conair, part of the IPEG Industrial Group, is a leading producer of auxiliary equipment for the plastics processing industry. We make and market over 450 different products, including resin-drying systems, blenders, feeders and material-conveying systems, temperature-control equipment and granulators. Extrusion solutions include gravimetric control systems, film and sheet scrap-reclaim systems and downstream equipment for pipe and profile extrusion. Conair is also a leader in plastics process integration, engineering and installing complete manufacturing systems that help plastics processors manage their valuable raw materials, handle their critical manufactured parts, and improve their process yield.
The Extrusion Process Engineer collaborates closely with Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Product Management, Operations, and Sales groups to develop and sustain the best plastics extrusion equipment in the world. As an Entry-to-Mid-Level Process Engineer, this position will help develop process and run customer FAT’s in the lab. They will help give input to the design of innovative new products through all phases of product development, as well as coordinate activities to evaluate and resolve product or process related issues. They will help provide support of both the equipment and the process for customers in the field. They will work with sales and manufacturing to coordinate in house factory travel and customer onsite support for both startups and troubleshooting. Reporting to the R&D and Lab Manager and located in Pinconning, MI, this position provides an excellent opportunity for personal and career growth.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Quickly and methodically gain expertise in the Conair product line;
- Develop collaborative relationships with key product stakeholders to help drive good customer requirements, innovation, and effective decisions;
- Assist in the successful development of new products through all phases of product development (concept to production);
- Provide root cause analysis of product issues with effective solutions and design enhancements;
- Investigate, evaluate, and implement new technologies into Conair products by working with the internal lab and vendors;
- Work with sales, manufacturing, and lab personnel to complete customer lab trials and factory acceptance testing;
- Assist service department in resolving customer issues with equipment and processes;
- Provide onsite startup and training for customers on the operation and setup of Conair equipment and tooling;
- Provide service support, machinery and controls changes, at customer facilities;
- Work with engineering to provide feedback and design improvements and solutions to customer problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Plastics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Plastics Engineering Technology or Mechanical Engineering Technology; extensive relevant experience will be considered without formal education;
- Two (2)+ years of relevant experience, particularly in plastic extrusion processes, set up and operation of plastic extrusion equipment, and extrusion die design and setup;
- Experience with extrusion line startups and commissioning of machines;
- Demonstrated ability to work with others in a cross-functional organization, while working independently when needed to achieve desired results;
- Practical experience with failure analysis and troubleshooting;
- Knowledge of polymers used in the extrusion process;
- Proficient in the use of MCAD design tools, specifically SolidWorks;
- Working knowledge of electrical power/controls;
- Ability to travel up to 75% of the time (almost entirely in USA);
- Project management experience and customer relations a plus.
The IPEG Industrial Group is a family of leading brands serving the global plastics, recycling and industrial heat transfer markets. IPEG, Inc. is a corporate entity which provides best-in-class manufacturing and business support services to its brands in order to create a competitive advantage for each of the brands to drive better solutions for customers.
At IPEG, we focus on two things: Customers and Employees. And we have a saying that if we do right by both of them, everything else takes care of itself. We have formalized this into IPEG’s Purpose: To foster excellence and inspire confidence in our customers and employees.
IPEG offers an outstanding compensation and benefits package including profit sharing, bonus plans, 401(k) with company match, medical insurance, dental, vision, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, health club reimbursement, tuition reimbursement, employee assistance, wellness program and employee referral bonus program.
IPEG, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and offers employment opportunities to all qualified persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability (except where physical or mental abilities are a bona fide occupational requirement), veteran status, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, HIV-positive status, possession of the sickle cell trait, genetic characteristics, political views, and any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.