TreePeople is an environmental nonprofit organization that is mobilizing people, business, philanthropists, and public agencies to work together to create green, resilient communities by planting trees, capturing the rainwater, greening schools, and providing fun environmental educational activities. We inspire, engage, and support the community to increase the urban tree canopy and address climate threats and environmental justice in Los Angeles and across the region.
We seek an energetic, passionate, highly-organized program manager to oversee the Compton Natural Connections program This program will run in partnership with EntreNous Youth Empowerment Service/YouthBuild Compton, whose programs serve low-income youth that are without a high school diploma, pregnant/parenting teens, living in poverty, homeless, foster and justice system-involved.
The Outdoor Access Program Manager will be a key part of the launch of this new program. This position will support the young adult cohorts, which will contain between 10-15 individuals ranging in ages of 18 to 24, to engage in fun, nature-based activities, document their experience via an art form of their choice, learn about the historical and cultural aspects of the natural space, and learn about the environment and how it relates to climate resilience through skill building and exposure to potential jobs. Each cohort will design their own project, which will be shared in a wrap up showcase event.
- Support the Senior Manager of Outdoor Access to execute the vision, goals and deliverables of our current outdoor access programs.
- Develop innovative, creative and inspiring educational programming that supports the Compton Natural Connections program with EntreNous /Youthbuild - Compton.
- Partner with EntreNous/Youthbuild-Compton to manage the recruitment of young people to join the program.
- Create and update materials for the cohort in coordination with other staff members.
- Implement a 10-week course for the EntreNous/Youthbuild-Compton cohort, ensuring each trip adheres to safe and thorough protocols and is properly coordinated with departments across TreePeople.
- Organize and implement a culmination event and trip for the youth.
- Work with the Director of Education and Outdoor Equity and Senior Manager of Outdoor Access to develop strategic objectives that are centered around growing TreePeople’s outdoor access program work.
- Assist with assessing our programs to ensure they intentionally integrate equity, inclusion and cultural relevancy.
- Assist in writing reports and communicating with our funders on various deliverables that are being met via our grants.
- Represent TreePeople in the community.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience managing educational programs that are innovative and creative.
- Community-oriented individual who is adept at mobilizing and prioritizing the needs of a community, in the Compton community is preferred.
- Recent, proven experience working with working with young adults, ideally with leading outdoor trips and executing project-based learning experiences.
- Should have an understanding of equity, inclusion and cultural relevancy within the community.
- Commitment to improving the environment through education. Some background in educational theory and methodology. Some background in the Next Generation Science Standards is a plus.
- An understanding of ecological systems and awareness of current environmental issues, including the impacts of urban development and green solutions.
- The ability and willingness to lead trips at various locations across Los Angeles County.
- Proven project management skills such as accountability, time management, prioritizing tasks, and meeting high-pressure deadlines.
- Experience with fundraising and writing grants a plus.
- Must be able to work well both independently and on a team.
- Strong communication skills that include professional writing, public speaking, and intra-personal communication.
- High computer literacy, including familiarity with Microsoft Suite, Google Suite, and other internet-based programs.
- Spanish fluency is a plus.
- Valid California Driver License and reliable transportation is mandatory.
- While performing the duties of this job, this position requires standing (mostly as a presenter), walking, driving, as well as the ability to lift 15 pounds.
TreePeople is an equal opportunity employer.