Why Norfolk Hardware & Home Center?
We are a family-owned company with our roots in hardware back in 1934. As a family-owned business, we appreciate our employees as we know they are the key and work to provide the best working environment. Being customer centric is the core of our values.
The Purchasing Specialist is responsible for supporting the various functions within the Hardware & Home Center to ensure safe and efficient retail work environment for employees and customers. The Purchasing Specialist will work closely with the Operations Purchasing Manager to plan, buy, and replenish product stock within the store as well as sourcing and pricing special orders from sales team.
This position will require strong time management and organizational skills, ability to utilize Microsoft Excel for analytical and tracking purposes for day to day and seasonal buys, knowledge of products within the hardware store or the ability to learn quickly beyond the SKUs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Actively review manufacturer price files for accuracy and completeness
- May assist with planograms sourcing products and securing special pricing.
- Order products and supplies as per negotiated and approved to meet stock levels
- Review special order purchase requests for proper authorization to ensure timely purchase of new products
- Accurately enter and review all purchase orders
- Review backorder data and report trends to management
- Distribute weekly discontinued reports to appropriate buyer
- Track purchasing activities and measurements through the system compiling analytical reports (Open Purchase Order report, Special Order Report, Cancelled Orders Report)
- Accurately maintain all system SKUs nd bin locations. Create/add/remove SKUs as needed
- Work with retail staff to ensure stocking is at correct level and product is merchandised properly
- May assist with other operational functions as needed
- Other projects as assigned by Management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Aptitude for numbers as related inventory analysis, units of measure, gross profit
- Understanding of purchasing and merchandising principles
- Proficiency working with ERP system and Microsoft applications
- Product knowledge common for a home center
- Ability to prioritize daily demands to meet customer and/or operational requirements
- Self-directed and able to work with limited supervision
Education and Experience
- 5+ years in purchasing/buying role
- 3+ year of hardware/building materials industry experience preferred
- Experience in a high transaction retail sales environment
- Experience with an ERP/POS system