Purpose of Position
A Development Lab Technician I is responsible for the operation of pilot scale lab equipment which can include mixing powders, extruding batch material, drying and calcining extrudates, dipping extrudates, testing batch/extrudate properties (moisture, plasticity, abrasion, strength testing) according to prescribed procedures and internal standards. The Development Lab Technician I supports production experiments led by Development. The Development Lab Technician I will be trained to perform processing areas and the material testing of wet and calcined product independently and without supervision. The processing areas are: Mixing through Cutting.
- Weighs and/or measures specific quantities of varying types of ingredients.
- Prepares catalyst solutions like AMT and AMV.
- Mixes ingredients in proper sequence and proportions and follows detailed processing instructions.
- Tends mixing or compounding equipment and maintains control over time, moisture removal, temperature, pressure, rpm, energy, power, or other variables.
- Observes, gauges, meters, and panels to monitor and control the operating conditions of lab scaled mixers, kneaders, extruders, dryers and calciners. Reports accurately the specific process characterizing outputs like peak time, energy, average power, and temperature. Documents observations and operation conditions of lab process equipment.
- Assesses final compound visually and uses appropriate batch testing equipment like moisture balances, curdmeter and pH meter. Makes batch adjustments if required to meet final batch drop specifications. Documents observations and test results.
- In the extrusion and pre-extrusion/strainer area the Dev. Lab Technician I operates the extrusion equipment. Measures and reports extrudate speed, extrusion throughput, extruder temperature and extrusion pressure. Documents observations and test results. Maintains operation condition of extruder by taking apart and cleaning screw and barrel segments. In order to maintain suitable honeycomb extrusion condition the technician must be able to use different die hardware to control and maintain flow front profile during extrusion. Monitors slot wear on dies and coal and gas Johnson screens by checking slots with pin gauges and/or microscope.
- In drying the technician must operate humidity and temperature controlled drying equipment correctly and performs experimental tests like moisture, weight loss, and dimensional measurements on extrudates.
- Keep detailed logs of all work-related activities.
- Maintains records to comply with internal requirements and standard operating procedures. Observes safety precautions and follows safety instructions.
- Supports Development experiments on the production floor (post extrusion plasticity measurements, moisture measurements on wet product, drying crack inspection)
- Run development samples on quality laboratory equipment (example: SA, N2 Pore Volume, ect).
- High School or GED equivalent.
- Good math skills.
- Computer knowledge – Excel.
- Some College preferred but not required.
This position is very active and requires standing, walking bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, and climbing stairs/ladders. The employee must be able to lift/push/pull up to 40 pounds.
Benefits are provided on date of hire!
Medical (vision included)- Company pays 83% of medical premiums for employee, employee/spouse, employee/child and family
Dental- Company pays 50% of dental premiums for employee, employee/spouse, employee/child, and family
Voluntary Life Insurance
HSA- Company contributes $600 for employee, and $1,200 for family plans.
FSA/Limited FSA available
100% Company paid benefits, provided on date of hire!
Basic Life Insurance
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
4% Company match 401(k), 100% vested, begins after 90 days of employment
10 Corporate Holidays (ability to receive double pay for any holiday that is worked)
Generous PTO Plan- available first day of employment!
Annual bonus program
Cormetech, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The success of Cormetech depends upon attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified people regardless of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran’s status.
Job Type: Full-time, 2nd Shift