Days and Hours:
- Night Shift (7pm - 7am); 12 hour shifts
- Every 3rd weekend rotation
- Holiday rotation
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and / or ability required:
Job Title: Acute Care RN or LPN
Department: Acute Care
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Reports To: Chief Nursing Officer
Positions Supervised: None
Essential Job Functions Duties and Responsibilities
- Delivers nursing care utilizing standards of clinical nursing practice.
- Collect and assess objective and subjective patient health data through observations, examinations, interviews and written records, involving the patient, significant others, and health providers in data collection when appropriate.
- Establishes nursing diagnosis based on patient condition or needs.
- Establishes goals, outcomes and individualized plans of care in collaboration with the patient, significant others and other health care providers, when appropriate, to meet the health care needs of the patient.
- Prescribing and implementing nursing interventions in order to implement the plan of care.
- Utilizing ongoing assessment and evaluation of patient condition and needs to revise diagnoses/ patient problems, outcome, and the plan of care as needed.
- Implements appropriate care
- Attends to the physical and psychosocial needs of the patient and/or significant others while providing supportive care as they cope with illness, surgery, or illness.
- Demonstrates competency in performing nursing skill and following policies and procedures.
- Assigns tasks or delegates care based on the needs of the patient and the knowledge and skill of the nursing personnel selected.
- Works in harmony with assigned co-workers and other department staff.
- Is punctual in attendance. Adjusts personal schedule to work as scheduled. Provides proper notification for absence as per hospital policy.
- Accepts and responds to constructive criticism, assigned duties and suggestions in a cooperative manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to accept and implement change
- Completes assignments accurately and on time.
- Participates in continuing education programs and staff meetings as evidenced by attendance records.
- Where applicable, floats to other areas as assigned; responds to floating requested with a positive attitude.
- Willingly accepts assignments to special projects.
- Attentive to detail, record-keeping and required paperwork inherent to the position.
- Demonstrates kindness, courteousness, and sensitivity to patients, families, physicians, co-workers and visitors at all times.
- Appears well groomed and observes established dress guidelines, visibly wearing the name identification badge.
- Displays self-respect and pride in KCHS.
- Prepares complete and concise assessment documentation through flow sheet charting as well as written nurses notes in the EMR. Documentation should reflect all assessments made, interventions carried out, and evaluations of responses to interventions.
- The frequency of assessments is based upon the acuity of the patient. The documentation policy states the least number of assessments/ nursing interventions. A nurse may always assess the patient’s status more frequently than required by policy.
Administration of Medications and Treatments
- Documents current patient medications through electronic medication reconciliation in the Dr. First program linked to the EMR.
- Utilizes BCMA for the administration and second-check of medications during administration to patients.
- Reports the potential for unsafe medication delivery/harm using Incident Tracker’s medication error form.
- Works in collaboration with ePharmacy and medical staff to calculate drug doses and drip rates in order to administer appropriate doses of medications to patients.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work cooperatively and communicate effectively to maintain good working relationships with staff, healthcare providers, and patients
- Must be capable of communicating clearly (reading, writing and speaking) in the English Language.
- Must be proficient in the operation of a personal computer with Microsoft Office and the Internet
- Must be capable of reading and comprehending complex healthcare laws and regulations.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, calculate figures and amounts.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished as written, oral, or schedule form. Ability to identify responses to actual or potential health conditions.
- Completes other required certifications or classes as necessary to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Attends staff meetings or reads and “marks as read” meeting minutes in Policy Tech 100% of the time.
Education and/or Experience:
- Associate’s Degree or above in Nursing
Certificates, Licensure, Registrations:
- Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse in the State of Nebraska
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Trauma Nursing Core Course (TNCC)
- SIGN-ON BONUS AVAILABLE
- Competitive Wage, Shift Differential and Incentives
- Benefit package including: Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance, Company-Paid Life Insurance, Voluntary Life Insurance, Retirement Matching, AFLAC Supplemental Insurance
- Medical Credits
- Wellness Benefits
- Tuition Assistance and Continuing Education Allowance