The heart of Boston Ballet is the human experience. Through our living and breathing art, we forge human connections—between artist and attendee, teacher and trainee, friend and newcomer, one's outer and inner self. We believe that the community of employees that makes dance possible is better together when talented individuals with varied life experiences, identities, races, cultures and ideas are welcomed, encouraged, and heard.
With a desired start date of January 16, 2023, the Physical Therapist (PT) is a full-time, exempt role that will work at least 35 hours per week) and be responsible for assisting the Director of Physical Therapy in the management and care of the Boston Ballet company and Boston Ballet II dancers (second company), including providing direct clinical patient services and supporting the overall health and wellness program for the dancers
The PT work schedule will vary based on rehearsal and performances weeks. Days and hours worked will fluctuate based on the company schedule and will entail weekend coverage.
Please be sure to include a cover letter and resume to be considered for this position.
· Evaluate, treat, and document physical therapy needs of Boston Ballet’s main and second company dancers
· Provide weekly clinical care coverage for company and BBII dancers in studio and at the theatre(s), including ‘on-call’ services on an as needed basis.
· Assist in annual health screenings for dancers.
· Assist in the coordination of interdisciplinary care and communication amongst independent contractors from other allied health professions affiliated with the broader health and wellness program for company and BBII dancers.
· In collaboration with Company Manager, assist in worker’s compensation filing, policies, and procedures, as well as injury tracking.
· When possible, prepare and deliver education series to educate dancers on topics specific to dancer health and wellness.
· Additional duties as assigned by the Director of Physical Therapy, including reporting for injury tracking, documentation for related research or educational seminars, administrative assistance, appointment scheduling, or patient assistance.
· Current license to render professional PT services in the state of Massachusetts
· Individual professional malpractice insurance with liability coverage of no less than $1,000,000.00 per claim / $3,000,000.00 aggregate
· Doctorate preferred but a minimum of Master’s Degree in Physical Therapy required
· Minimum of 2-4 years of experience practicing physical therapy in orthopedics/sports medicine
· Strong background in dance, dance medicine, or performing arts
· Ability to lift 80 pounds
· Flexibility to be able to work nights, weekends and occasional holidays.
· May be required to travel and provide PT services on company tours or coordinate on-site PT services or referred practitioners at tour destination
· Boston Ballet requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 , as a condition of employment unless the employee is entitled to a religious or medical exemption.
The Ideal candidate will have a:
* Strong background in dance
* Strong background in sports orthopedics with a focus on manual therapy
* ATC or experience with acute triage in a backstage setting or background in emergency/traumatic injury management
* A knowledge of or preferred certification in Pilates, Gyrotonic, or other wellness practices
* Comprehensive manual therapy skill set including IASTM and other modalities
· Certified in dry needling or willingness to become certified
* Current CPR Certification
* Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
* Strong ability to navigate a fast-paced, frequently changing environment with confidence* A strong desire to continue to learn and expand his or her knowledge of ballet-specific rehabilitation