FN America, LLC is a U.S. subsidiary of FN Herstal, S.A., a global leader in the development and manufacturing of high-quality, reliable firearms for military, law enforcement and commercial customers worldwide. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia with manufacturing operations in Columbia, South Carolina, FN America is passionately committed to providing its customers with a portfolio of FN-branded products, training and support services that enhance user performance and safeguard their lives. For more information, visit us at or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Buyer, New Product Development (NPD) develops, sources, and selects prototype suppliers in support of commercial and military new projects and strategic programs during the entire Product Development Process (PDP) including involvement and ownership throughout the entire PDP process, from early concept, preliminary development, feasibility, and product validation through Industrialization and Low Initial Rate Production (LRIP) stages. In this role, the Buyer, NPD supports project and program deliverables and ensures suppliers deliver on-time and in-full, ensuring new product success by working effectively with cross-functional departments including Product Engineering, Project Management, Commodity Management, Quality, Product Management, and Supply Chain.
- Serves as the primary procurement project lead on the Integrated Project Team (IPT) as assigned throughout all stages of the PDP.
- Escalates all project or program concerns to their Lead Buyer, NPD.
- Ensures all prototype and production suppliers deliver samples, production intent parts and LRIP components on-time and in full to meet the project schedule.
- Provides Commodity Management with required project due dates for Request for Quote (RFQ) submission and supplier selection of production parts for all projects and programs.
- Provides item tracking for all components required at each stage in the PDP process.
- Works side by side with Product Engineering to source rapid prototypes from initial concept through preliminary and critical design phases.
- Develops understanding of how to identify and onboard a highly efficient and effective rapid prototype supply base supporting many different manufacturing technologies, including but not limited to additive manufacturing, Powder Injection Molding/Metal Injection Molding (PIM/MIM), springs, stampings, and machining. Minimizes initial prototyping cost for soft tooling and collaborates with Commodity Management if hard tooling is required at any time during the development phase.
- Initiates requisitioning and placement of external purchase orders and coordinates with Production Control for acquisition of inventoried items required for NPD.
- Ensures documentation is correct on all Purchase Orders (POs) placed including pricing and delivery and responsible for invoice reconciliation of supplier invoices and accurate project and cost center allocations.
- Identifies LRIP component quantities are in stock to support the Sales and Operations Planning (S&OP) market launch requirements.
- Transitions all purchased components to the Operations Buyer at safe launch.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree required. Degree in a technical, economic, financial, or business discipline preferred.
One year of direct experience in the Supply Chain or Procurement field. Sourcing or Project Management experience in a mechanical machining manufacturing industry is preferred. Six years of applicable experience may be substituted for the degree.
Skills and Competencies
All FN America employees are expected to demonstrate accountability, collaboration, communication, customer focus, and innovation. Additional skills required include:
- Exceptional multitasking skills and a high technical aptitude.
- Excellent project management skills with demonstrated ability to drive to closure.
- Demonstrated experience working with cross-functional teams to successfully introduce new products/solutions.
- Understanding of functionality of ERP systems, MRP knowledge is preferred.
- Applied knowledge of the Science and Technology of Manufacturing Processes
- Excellent Planning, Organization, Communication, Interpersonal, and Leadership skills.
- Proficient PC skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of Prototype supply base is preferred.
- Understanding of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) fundamentals is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of supply chain or procurement processes
- Proven ability to define performance measures related to the business and hold associates accountable for the same.
Intermediate Microsoft Office Suite experience, ERP systems working knowledge. CREO experience preferred.
APICS or CPSM Certifications Preferred
Typical office environment with some travel between buildings and to other locations required (up to 20%). May be exposed to loud noises, toxic chemicals, and dangerous machinery when on the plant floor. Incumbent may be required to lift and move up to 25 lbs. unassisted.
All FN America employees have a responsibility to participate in the development of a safe and healthy workplace and to comply with instructions given for their own safety and health and that of others.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status
FN America, LLC is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please email HR@FNAmerica.com or call: 803-736-0522.
We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor