Texas Legal Services Center’s (TLSC) Crime Victims Program provides direct legal services to victims of violent crime, which includes providing legal advice and referrals by phone, representing victims in court, and advocating on behalf of victims who are navigating the criminal justice system. Depending on the needs of the program, this position will provide trauma-informed services to victims through giving legal advice and referrals by phone, representing clients in litigation, advocating for the rights of victims in criminal cases and parole proceedings. TLSC also operates a legal hotline for survivors who have legal needs stemming from sexual assault or abuse, serving the Legal Aid for Survivors of Sexual Assault (LASSA) network by providing statewide intake and referrals to other LASSA partners.
This attorney in this position is expected to:
Maintain the highest ethical and professional standards as a member of the State Bar; adhere to the American Bar Association Standards for the Provision of Civil Legal Aid; embrace and support TLSC’s overall mission; and comply with all grant requirements, regulations, standards, policies, and confidentiality requirements.
This is a grant funded position.
- Provide legal advice, assistance, referrals and representation, where applicable, to eligible clients in a compassionate, culturally-sensitive, trauma-informed, and victim-centered manner. This includes representing clients in court hearings and administrative proceedings.
- Conduct intake interviews, confirm eligibility for services, check for conflicts of interest, and take appropriate action to address the client’s legal problem.
- Perform research and analysis, communicate with third parties, and draft and file legal documents.
- Cultivate working relationships, both internally and with network partners and other social services agencies in the community and statewide, to advance program and organizational goals.
- Lead or assist with promoting education efforts statewide and in local programs, including developing, presenting, or participating in public speeches trainings aimed at law enforcement and volunteers.
- Travel, at times frequently, to locations outside of Austin to address client issues, further education efforts, or meet on partner agency matters.
- Assist clients with Texas Statewide Automated Victim Notification System (SAVNS) and applications for Crime Victims’ Compensation.
- Provide information to clients and make referrals where appropriate.
- Ensure all client, project, and computer files are maintained in an orderly manner.
- Provide all information needed/requested for TLSC reporting in a prompt manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- J.D. Degree.
- Licensure by the Supreme Court of Texas.
- Minimum of two years of experience assisting victims of crime, particularly victims of domestic violence and sexual assault, in a legal setting.
- Experience making presentations to large audiences.
- Current knowledge and expertise of the law and legal system.
- High-level organization skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong time management and attention to detail.
- Proficiency with (or the ability to learn) LegalServer (TLSC’s case management system), Adobe, and Microsoft Office products.
- Understanding of grant requirements and associated reporting needs.
- Ability to travel to out-of-town locations, often including overnight stays.
- Ability to work with clients in a patient, trauma-informed, and non-judgmental manner.
- Comfort with working in both a hotline and litigation environment.
- Fluency in Spanish (reading, writing, speaking, and understanding spoken Spanish).
- Sedentary work that involves sitting most of the time.
- Occasional bending, squatting, and kneeling.
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and a negligible amount of force as needed, at times to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
*This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.