We offer excellent benefits including free medical insurance and over six weeks of paid time off for full time employees!
Avesta Housing is a nonprofit affordable housing provider with over 50 years of experience as a leader in affordable housing development and property management in southern Maine and New Hampshire. We have a mission to improve lives and strengthen communities by promoting and providing quality affordable homes for people in need.
What we’re looking for
Avesta Housing is seeking an organized team-player to fill our need for a Maintenance Technician. This position will provide routine, emergency and preventative building repair and maintenance including but not limited to painting, electrical, plumbing and general repairs. Successful Maintenance Technicians are typically self-motivated, articulate, and well-versed in working with a team of maintenance technicians and/or contractors in a housing setting. Excellent communication skills are essential, as this position must coordinate on a regular basis with management/coworkers, residents, and subcontractors. Experience using technology is a plus, as this position does require daily use for reporting purposes. Daily travel is required and all technicians participate in our rolling on-call calendar which requires overtime.
Location: travel throughout York county, Maine
Pay range: $20-$22
POSITION SUMMARY: Provide general maintenance services for buildings and grounds of assigned portfolio of properties while providing excellent customer service, contributing to a quality living environment for all residents, establishing and maintaining a positive and productive working relationship with all departments, and adhering to the agency’s Mission Statement and core values.
- Perform routine, emergency, and preventative building repair and maintenance not requiring a licensed professional, such as painting, electrical, plumbing, and general repairs to the interior and exterior of buildings, and regularly assesses safety and security risks, property cleanliness, curb appeal, and capital needs. Ensure that work is completed within established agency timeframes.
- Coordinate and participate in unit, property, and equipment inspections.
- Manage ongoing maintenance of buildings and grounds, including routing alarm testing, grounds maintenance, and oversight of outside contractors, reporting any problems and/or issues to property management.
- Maintain open communication with Property Management team, including attendance at regular meetings and reporting of any capital needs.
- Ensure that grounds are safely maintained daily and in compliance with Avesta standards, including maintenance in the event of inclement weather such as snow removal, salting, and sanding as necessary.
- Follow safety procedures and report hazards promptly.
- Maintain inventory of supplies and equipment, updating annually.
- Report maintenance issues to appropriate parties when unable to repair in a timely manner.
- Prepare units within established timeframes between move out and move-ins, including participating in move-out inspections and developing plan for turnover work.
- Coordinate and communicate with subcontractors as necessary.
- Participate in on-call rotation.
- Adhere to all applicable state, federal, and Agency rules, policies, procedures, and regulations at all times.
- Maintain resident confidentiality.
- Ensure that all internal and external common areas are kept clean in accordance with Agency policy.
- Embody core values of Avesta Housing at all times.
- Must value and foster an environment that ensures respect, support and safety for all members of the Avesta community, and actively promote the expansion of ideas, perspectives, and understanding that comes from having a diverse and inclusive community.
- Recommend efficiencies or areas of improvement when relevant.
- Maintain good working relationships with residents and other staff.
- Complete and maintain records, data, and information.
- Participate on committees as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Available to work on-call schedule as needed.
- Valid driver's license and auto insurance.
- Ability to make decisions and use sound judgment
- Maintain reliable vehicle with required insurance that can transport tools and supplies.
- Possess a basic tool kit.
- Possess basic carpentry, electrical, plumbing, painting and general repair skills.
- Ability to complete necessary forms, including online timesheets.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to interact well with people.
- Ability to use tools, carry equipment and supplies and climb ladders up to six feet in height.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Motivated by a desire to render services to others.
- Capable of exercising individual initiative.
- Basic computer skills and the ability to learn new software as needed.
- Comfort with technology in general in order to work with Agency tools and systems, as well as building-specific controls and systems.
Benefits: Excellent benefit package including employer paid health, dental, vision, 401(k) with immediate vested match, flexible spending and dependent care accounts, life, long and short term disability, paid holidays, paid parental leave, and generous earned time. Excellent working environment.