Come Smile with Us!
Delta Dental of Iowa invites applications for a Financial Accountant to join our team. This is an opportunity to be responsible (either directly or as a reviewer) for the preparation and strong understanding of financial statements, capital management and investment, and other accounting and analysis functions of our for-profit subsidiaries. You will prepare statutory filing requirements and GAAP financials for Delta Dental’s for-profit subsidiaries and prepare tax filings and other IRS filings, such as 1099’s. Position may be filled at different levels, depending on experience.
Why Delta Dental of Iowa?
For your smile. For your health. For your community.
At Delta Dental of Iowa, we’re more than just a dental and vision insurance company. Improving health and wellness is at the center of everything we do. As a not-for-profit, we aim to build stronger communities by investing in actions that promote and improve health. Delta Dental of Iowa invests 40% of our dollars directly back into the communities we serve.
Come see why we are passionate about "Bringing Smiles" to our customers. Our team enjoys competitive pay and benefits, an awesome "One Team" approach, and a company culture that fosters "Exceptional Quality Service" and "Leadership at All Levels." Together, we can make a difference – not only in Iowa but across the country.
Essential Functions and Principal Accountabilities:
- Prepare, understand and review various regulatory filings including the annual and quarterly statutory blanks.
- Responsible for completion of accounting journal entries in accordance with GAAP.
- Complete accurate and timely financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Statutory Accounting Principles.
- Analyze operating results to identify opportunities for cost savings
- Conduct cost/benefit/analysis and/or breakeven analysis for various projects assigned by the Accounting Manager.
- Responsible for monitoring the cash positions of the company and reviewing the accuracy of cash transactions in the bank account.
- Prepare cashflow projections for senior leadership. Review and analyze the data providing information to executive leadership with explanations of cash changes.
- Assist with external audits including workpaper preparation and audit report preparation.
- Lead and monitor the annual 1099 process and ensure completion by IRS deadlines.
- Prepare various management reports for senior leadership and other target audiences as required including Board of Directors and Committee presentations.
- Coordinate and complete tax entries.
- Coordinate and prepare budgets, forecasts and strategic financial planning, as well as analysis of financial results.
- Backup to various processes within the Accounting department.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required.
- 4-6 years’ accounting experience required.
- Knowledge of GAAP accounting principles required.
- Knowledge of statutory accounting principles as they relate to the insurance industry, preferred.
- Tax experience in Corporate Federal & State income taxes and 1099’s strongly preferred; Premium taxes preferred.
- Strong accounting, analytical and decision-making skills.
- Great Plains software experience preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills in order to communicate across business unit lines.
- Detail-orientation with high level of accuracy.
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects simultaneously.
Delta Dental of Iowa is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons without unlawful regard of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, individuals with disabilities, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.