The Syracuse Regional Airport Authority is seeking candidates for the position of Heavy Equipment Mechanic II. The work involves responsibility for performing skilled mechanical repair and maintenance work on heavy equipment whose operating systems and assemblies differ from standard gasoline or diesel powered systems. Under supervision, an employee in this position performs skilled mechanical repair and maintenance work on heavy construction equipment whose systems of operation and assemblies are different from standard vehicle employing gasoline or diesel powered systems. General instructions are received regarding assigned tasks, giving latitude for planning details and carrying out assignments. Work is reviewed upon completion through the operation of repaired equipment. Does related work as required. Must be able to work any shift due to 24/7 airport operations.
Typical Work Activities
- Performs skilled mechanical work in the repairing and overhaul of gas and diesel driven engines, transmissions, brake and exhaust systems, water pumps, generators, differentials, and other mechanical subassemblies ordinarily found in heavy equipment.
- Mounts and dismounts snow plow blades and other auxiliary equipment.
- Rebuilds defective or damaged subassemblies.
- Assembles and times engines.
- Greases all moving parts, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and standard practice of the mechanical trade as related with maintenance and repair of heavy automotive or construction equipment.
- Good knowledge of the methods, materials, and standard practices used in the repair and maintenance of construction equipment utilizing other systems of operation outside of those systems operating by gasoline or diesel driver power.
- Good knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Good knowledge of the operating and repair characteristics of equipment normally associated with the operation of a Public Works Department.
- Good computer skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good knowledge of the operations of gasoline and diesel internal combustion engines.
- Good knowledge of electrical and hydraulic systems in heavy automotive and construction equipment.
- Skill in the use of tools, machines and testing equipment.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and read diagrams.
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
A) Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees with an Associate’s Degree in Automotive Technology with a specialty in Heavy Equipment or an Associate’s Degree in Diesel Equipment Technology and one (1) year of skilled mechanical experience, or its part-time equivalent, in the repair and maintenance of heavy automotive equipment or construction equipment utilizing both gasoline and diesel powered engines which must have involved the maintenance and repair of bulldozers, power shovels, extractors and like heavy equipment; or,
B) Three (3) years of skilled mechanical experience, or its part-time equivalent, in the repair and maintenance of heavy automotive equipment or construction equipment utilizing both gasoline and diesel powered engines, one (1) year of which experience must have involved the maintenance and repair of bulldozers, power shovels, extractors and like heavy equipment; or,
C) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B).
Special Necessary Requirement
1) When required to operate motor vehicles, employees must possess a valid Non-CDL or CDL with appropriate endorsements as required by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles for the class of vehicle(s) being operated. CDL B is required.
2) Possession of a New York State Motor Vehicle Inspector's License which includes both group 1 (small equipment) and group 2 (large equipment) at time of appointment.
*Due to FAA regulations, any offer of employment would be contingent on passing a security clearance background check and pre-employment drug test.
The Authority offers a comprehensive salary and benefits package, including medical/dental/vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, generous paid time off, New York State deferred compensation (457b), Employee Assistance Program and membership in the New York State Local and Employee Retirement System .
To learn more about our organization, visit: http://www.syrsraa.com/.
Interested candidates should apply online, and include 3 professional references.