Weavers Way is a not-for-profit organization that’s doing things differently to support our local community. As a member-owned co-op, we don’t exist just to make money. Weavers Way operates on a triple bottom line philosophy known as People-Planet-Profit - which means every action we take, we strive to benefit people (our community, employees, and local vendors), planet (we strive to be one of the most sustainable places around!), and profit (so we can support our team members and operate as a business). By joining us, you’re helping us fulfill our mission of keeping dollars in our local community, supporting over 300 local food vendors, and being a part of strengthening and enriching the people and planet around us.
If you have an enthusiasm for food, sustainability, or community support, we’d love to have you join the team. Weavers Way offers a variety of benefits, including very affordable medical, dental, and vision plans, a 401k with match, an employee discount, paid vacation and sick time, company-provided disability and life insurance, and more.
New Store Location: Germantown
Estimated Opening: Fall 2023
The Store Manager is responsible for overseeing the management of full store operations to meet co-op goals for sales, margins, labor and customer service. To serve as a member of the Leadership team and to support in the achievement of the co-op’s “Ends” policies.
- Ensure a strong management presence in store at all times (including coverage for department managers due to absence or operating needs)
- Ensure regular department inventories and appropriate product mix
- Participate in development of the Annual Business Plan and the annual operating and capital budgets for the departments
- Work with the Assistant Manager and Department Leads in the planning and implementation of department layouts and product locations for sales volume, aesthetics and shopping and stocking efficiency
- Supervise significant personnel actions of the assigned departments including weekly scheduling for labor efficiencies
- Cross training of floor staff for cashiering duties to ensure adequate coverage during high volume times
- Provide direction to the Front End Manager and partner with the Assistant Store Manager to utilize cashiers during downtime to assist departments in packing out areas including bulk, deli, prepared foods, etc.
- Attend management team meetings and Board of Directors meetings as required
- Coordination of promotional programs
- Develop and administer sampling and cross merchandising
- Ensure compliance with all government regulations relative to retail activities
- Oversee the receiving department and respond timely to issues related to vendors, deliveries, safety concerns
- Enforce performance standards for all store staff
- Assess staffing needs alongside the Assistant Store Manager and Front-End Manager
- Evaluate direct reports including Assistant Store Manager, Front End Manager and Receivers performance, including informal, on-going coaching and training
- Completing evaluation forms and meeting with staff members for formal evaluations
- Understanding and carrying out Weavers Way policies
- Take corrective counseling measures and/or disciplinary action as needed for departmental leads according to established personnel policies.
- In partnership with HR department and the department leads, terminate department employees, as necessary, following established personnel policies.
- Ensure that store leadership meetings and departmental meetings are conducted regularly. Provide effective communication of operational issues.
- Responsible for scheduling 24 hours as the Shift Manager per week
- Oversee and ensure that all staff is providing top service to customers
- Respond to customer service issues and resolve in a timely manner.
- Provide assistance at the cash registers when needed for overrides and to work as an additional cashier during heavy volume for reducing the line
- Identify opportunities on the sales floor in departments during shift. Communicate to department lead or team member currently available to correct any issues. This will include out of stocks on high volume, high demand and sale items.
- Ensure that all department work areas and aisles are in a clean and orderly condition and meet all store and city requirements
- Attend and actively participate in store management team meetings
- Establish budget goals with each department lead and manage each lead to reach and/or exceed set goals
- Be accountable for the full store P&L and be able to identify the strengths and areas of opportunities, action plan on how to improve month to month to achieve set goals
- Communicate store results to the department leads on a monthly basis including financials, customer service, employee relations
- Attend Leadership meetings and be an active contributor to the strategic vision of the co-op
- Succession plan with the Store Manager on a Quarterly basis to review current staff, turnover rates, opportunities for promotion within store and within the co-op
- Consistently provide outstanding service to customers.
- Ensure efficient and friendly service from all team leaders according to established customer service standards.
- Ensure that department staff are responding quickly and courteously to all requests for information or refer unresolved questions to the appropriate staff member
- Serve as escalation point for all customer, staff and vendor issues
- Observe all Weavers Way policies and procedures
- Perform other duties as assigned by the store or general manager
- Significant years of retail store management (preferably in a natural foods store) including exposure to government laws and reporting compliance
- Supervisory experience: hiring, training, motivating, scheduling, etc.
- Ability to read financial statements: experience in establishing margins and pricing
- Knowledge of and experience with category management
- Organized; consistently follows through on commitments
- Knowledge of current trends in natural foods industry
- Excellent communications skills, ability to provide clear directions; good listener; sense of humor
- Basic command of computer applications