Bluewave is seeking a Structural Engineering Lead with the title Senior Structural Engineer. The structural engineering lead will be the primary subject matter resource working on solar photovoltaic and battery storage projects from concept stages (site identification), through project development (entitlement and engineering), to starting construction.
BlueWave is on a mission to revolutionize energy with simple, powerful solutions. As a pioneering solar developer, BlueWave has developed and sold more than 155 MW of solar projects to date. As built, these projects collectively generate enough solar energy to avoid roughly 119,490 metric tons of carbon emissions annually. A certified B Corp, BlueWave has received national recognition for its work to protect the planet, including being named the Clean Energy Company of the Year in 2018 by the Northeast Clean Energy Council, one of the top 100 Impact Companies in the United States for each of the last two years as rated by Real Leaders Magazine, and a leading growth company by Inc. Magazine and the Boston Business Journal.
BlueWave provides employees with a robust benefits package including unlimited paid time off, dedicated volunteer days, summer Fridays and 13 paid holidays. In addition, we offer a 401k and Roth 401K option with company match, subsidized health, dental and vision plans, as well as life insurance and long/short-term disability.
Inclusion at BlueWave:
As a mission-driven B Corp, as environmentalists, and as humans, we hold ourselves accountable to creating a workforce that celebrates diversity on our team and within our communities. Our inclusive culture and core values inspire us to develop more innovative, bolder solutions to support our customers and partners in the renewable energy industry. When you join BlueWave, you join a collaborative team doing all that we can to be transparent, sustainable, and inclusive as we fight for our shared vision of protecting the planet.
- Assessing the viability and constructability of target land and roofs and provide feedback to different internal and external stakeholders
- Create layouts for projects (different stages) and evaluate project work needs for racking and foundations based on choice of equipment and installation methods
- Serve as the primary subject matter expert, qualify new racking vendors and installation methods for the company's dual use (co-terminus use of land for agriculture) projects
- For ground mounted projects, create general and project specific scopes of work for geotechnical site characterization, oversee the characterization work through subcontractors, review and approve reports
- For rooftop solar arrays, assess the existing overburden on and the addressable loading capacity of the existing roof structure.
- Oversee outreach to and selection of racking vendors, foundation designs and installation methods to balance and optimize long-term reliability and cost.
- Review and approve calculations from racking vendors and support due diligence requests from external stakeholders (AHJs, independent engineers and contractors).
- Curiosity in experimenting with new design approaches and a “can do” attitude to problem solving
- Hands-on design experience with different software necessary for the job functions
- Good communication, drafting and presentation skills
- PE license; company will cover licensure costs in new states
- Bachelor's degree in Structural Engineering with at least 10 years of relevant experience, (or advanced degree with 8 years)
- Experience with vertical construction electrical generation projects with a traditional engineering or architectural firm or EPC contractor
- Advanced proficiency in Revit, STAAD Pro, RISA (or similar) and LPile
- Advanced proficiency in steel and concrete design codes
- 25%-30% travel expected for the position for office and site visits as needed. Remote applicants must be willing to travel to the Boston office at least once a month
- Structural engineering and design experience on ground and roof-mounted solar photovoltaic projects of commercial or utility scale
- Working knowledge of solar PV module stringing and laying out OEM approved racking blocks
- Working knowledge of conceptual design software such as SIFT/Helioscope and energy modeling software such as PVSYST
- None immediately but anticipated as the structural engineering team grows
BlueWave is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and will do so by actively seeking to hire and promote diverse individuals throughout the company.
Providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment is critical to our identity and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, handicap (disability), sexual orientation, gender identity/ or expression, genetics, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, military status or obligation, or other protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.