The In-House Counsel guides and executes all legal aspects of construction contracts and risk management. This position is responsible for providing legal advice and direction to the construction management team.
What you will be doing:
Contracts and Operational Support
- Review, draft and negotiate commercial agreements in a broad range of transactional disciplines, including purchase orders, consulting/professional service agreements, preconstruction agreements, construction agreements and contracts, project operating agreements, joint venture agreements, and other organizational documents.
- Assist the pursuit teams to ensure all necessary documents and funds are timely and properly completed, executed, received, delivered, and distributed.
- Advise internal clients and senior management on contract interpretation, dispute resolution, legal issues related to projects, corporate governance, and other legal risks.
- Create and manage litigation status reports, including claims and expenses and effectively present this information to senior management.
- Work with external counsel to assess merits of cases and recommend settlement when warranted.
- Assist in the renewal process of corporate insurance portfolio, including identification of new exposures and coverage amendments.
- Review insurance quotes, binders, policies, and owner-controlled insurance programs to ensure accuracy.
- Drive improvement in contracting processes and management, including development of internal policies.
- Interact with internal business units, external customers, vendors, trade partners, and strategic partners to provide updates and counsel on various legal and contractual issues.
- Run internal training courses on legal topics.
- Participate in one-on-one meetings with owners to support the negotiation of contracts
- Ensure compliance with contract management procedures.
- Interpret and ensure adherence to federal and state legislation relevant to the business.
What you will bring along:
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school and admitted to practice
- 5+ years of experience with relevant construction law, including reviewing, drafting, and negotiating construction contracts and transactions
- Experience advising companies in all aspects of construction contracts and transactions
- Strong customer service and interpersonal communication skills
- Proven success in collaborating across a multi-dimensional business
- Strong understanding of business problems related to commercial construction
What we offer:
- Our acclaimed Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- A generous Open Paid Leave Program and paid parental leave
- Flexible benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) match
- Competitive compensation, cash bonuses, spot-bonuses
- Mileage reimbursement
- We are committed to making a positive impact in the communities where we live, work, and play through our Volunteer Time Off and Brinkman Gives programs.
Salary: Minimum of $130,000. Salary is commensurate with skills, experience, and education.
This information is provided in compliance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act and is the company's good faith and reasonable estimate of the compensation range and benefits offered for this position. Brinkman Construction also makes internal equity a consideration in all pay decisions.
Connection and collaboration have been key to our success over the years. The energy from in-person interaction is irreplaceable. We cannot underestimate the power of informal conversations and connecting face-to-face with our team. Simply put, some things are better when done together.
With offices in both Fort Collins and Denver, Brinkman Construction is a 100% employee-owned company with projects spanning the entire Front Range. Since our founding in 2005, we have been the recipient of industry accolades including Entrepreneur of the Year, Small Business of the Year, Best Commercial Builder Runner-Up, and innumerable project-based awards.
Honest and Ethical
We are committed to attracting creative, collaborative professionals who exemplify our core values and our culture, while also being empowered to contribute to - and benefit from - the growth and success of the organization.
At Brinkman Construction, we are driven to build. Are you?
Note that Brinkman Construction does not accept unsolicited resumes or candidate profiles from recruiters or employment agencies without a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement in place. In the absence of such an agreement, Brinkman explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire any candidate presented, without any financial obligation for recruiter commission or referral compensation. Any unsolicited resumes and/or candidate profiles presented by recruiters or employment agencies – including those presented directly to hiring managers – are deemed to be the property of Brinkman Construction.