Job Title: Senior Project Associate, Process Innovation
Position Supervisor: Manager, Process Innovation
Classification Level: Exempt
Location: Arlington, VA (remote work optional)
Position Timeline: Temporary (March 2025)
APHSA is recruiting new talent! We are seeking an ambitious new hire who is efficient and successful at managing projects.
APHSA is an association representing state and local agencies in the health and human services field. With and through these members, we work to advance solutions that are centered on administering, overseeing, and aligning programs to provide access to food, health care, housing, employment, childcare, community support, and other key building blocks.
Join a team of dedicated professionals who are results-oriented and are impacting systems across the nation!
Our team at APHSA needs a person like you who leans forward and feels comfortable engaging with important thought leaders and partners. We’re looking for solution-oriented action takers who will add to our collaborative team environment. While your main focus will be supporting the policy department in efforts that advance the APHSA mission and goals, we’re also looking for someone who thrives in a multi-team environment. In addition, we need someone who is comfortable being on multiple cross functional internal teams to advance the work both internally and externally with kindness, compassion, inclusion, and a can-do spirit.
Your direct supervisor and coach will be the Manager of Process Innovation. Your support will be the entire APHSA organization because we work best when we all work together!
The Senior Project Associate, Process Innovation will manage projects within APHSA's Process Innovation portfolio, which focus on helping state and local human services agencies develop organizational readiness and implement initiatives that drive customer-centered business process improvements within agencies in coordination with aligned community, government, and other public sector partners. The primary responsibility of this role is to lead a new APHSA project that will produce a customer-centered framework for alignment of technology modernization strategies across health, human services, and labor agency systems. As the project manager for this initiative, this position will provide technical assistance to agencies, and design content and deliverables to meet project objectives. Additionally, this position will liaise with learning communities convened by APHSA & partner networks to foster relationships and broaden the reach of APHSA’s efforts to support process innovation across human services agencies.
Major Responsibility #1 (50%): Lead the successful implementation of APHSA process innovation projects
- In partnership with other project team members, develop and manage detailed project schedules and work plans for the Process Innovation portfolio of contracts and grants
- Coordinate work activities of APHSA staff and teaming partners to ensure quality and timeliness of work products
- Provide direct technical assistance and support to state and local human services agencies participating in process innovation grant projects that require deep understanding of how to design and implement data and technology solutions within public sector systems
- Facilitate cohort learning and peer-to-peer support across participating project sites
- Develop and manage reporting requirements for participating project sites
- Support events and design of web-based platforms that document resources and build knowledge base on process innovation for human services agencies
Major Responsibility #2: Lead Development of Process Innovation work products to expand field capacity (20%)
- Facilitate presentations and peer-to-peer sharing to disseminate learnings from project-based work to broader APHSA membership.
- Lead creation of work products such as blogs, issue briefs, webinars, toolkits, infographics, and literature reviews that display a sophisticated understanding of Process Innovation across human services.
- Manage cross functional project teams, including delegation of project-related tasks within APHSA and across core partnerships.
- Oversee management of online peer support and learning tools.
Major Responsibility #3: Lead partnership development and collaborations for Process Innovation projects (25%)
- Develop a deep understanding of the relationship between policy, operations, technology, and procurement in advancing process improvement within public systems to Support APHSA’s affinity group of human services Chief Information Officers (IT Solutions Management for Human Services or “ISM”)
- Foster and expand working relationships with national and community partners in fields such as civic tech and industry to exchange ideas and explore opportunities for collaboration
- Represent APHSA at national events and stakeholder meetings related to process innovation and human-centered design in human services
- Scan national landscape for tools and resources to incorporate into APHSA process innovation strategies and to share with APHSA members, curating email, social media, publications, and other communication platforms
Other Duties #4 (5%): Other duties as assigned
Possess one or more of the following:
o Advanced degree focused on policy or technology
- 3-5 years’ experience supporting the development of public sector IT Projects. Direct experience in system design for public assistance programs, Unemployment Insurance, and/or workforce development programs preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Experience with other project management tools such as Smartsheet
- Excellent time management and task completion, whether routine or urgent. Ability to maintain confidentiality on sensitive business and other related matters.
- Possess strong organization skills, ability to multi-task high volume work requests and re-prioritize independently; pro-actively problem-solves.
- Exhibit strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills with the ability to produce high quality, professional and respectful communications to individuals throughout the nation.
- Willingness to travel (up to 15%) as public health considerations permit.
- Self-organized and has experience compiling deliverables to report the progress of grants and managing workplans.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, and proficiency in Zoom for planning and facilitating virtual meetings.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to craft solid written products.
- Basic knowledge of human services.
- Demonstrated experience managing technical projects. Experience managing technical projects in the public sector is preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of how to weave human-centered design and equity principles into public sector technology and operations
- Proven ability to work effectively and translate between technical and policy-oriented stakeholders to achieve shared goals.
- Experience producing internal and external writings for a variety of audiences.
- Experience incorporating perspectives of multiple communities and knowledge of how structural racism and bias impact underserved and underrepresented communities.
- Knowledge of or experience in Process Innovation, Business Process Change, Design Frameworks, and/or related subject areas
- Understanding of the relationship between policy, operations, technology, and procurement in advancing process improvement within public systems preferred.
At APHSA, we value and support the health, well-being and future of our staff. Our benefit package is based on improving employee morale, which fosters a work environment where staff feel they can thrive and feel accomplished. Aside from basic benefits such as 100% employer coverage of health, dental, and vision insurance, we also offer additional employee benefits and perks like these:
- $250 work from home stipend
- 3% contribution to 401 k or ROTH Plan
- Monthly Staples account allowance
- Hybrid work environment
- Additional discretionary holidays included with 11 paid holidays
- Employee Appreciation gifts and an APHSA Swag pop-up shop
- 15 vacation days
- 15 sick/wellness days
- Disability insurance
- Life Insurance
- FSA (health, dependent, commuter)
- Optional employee paid benefits (legal, pet insurance, critical illness, accident)
Please submit your resume and cover letter.
This employer participates in E-Verify for employment verification.
The American Public Human Services Association (APHSA) is a bipartisan national membership association representing state and local health and human services agencies and the subject matter experts that help execute their mission to improve outcomes for people nationwide. APHSA's dedication to promoting diversity, racial equity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in how we work and support our members. It is more than a commitment—it is the foundation of how we do what we do. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and recognize that building well-being starts with creating a space where our employees are comfortable bringing their authentic, unique selves to work.
Building on our long-standing relationships with health and human services leaders, we focus on generating pragmatic solutions that advance the well-being of individuals, families, and communities.