CloudBees provides the leading software delivery platform for enterprises, enabling them to continuously innovate, compete, and win in a world powered by the digital experience. Designed for the world's largest organizations with the most complex requirements, CloudBees enables software development organizations to deliver scalable, compliant, governed, and secure software from the code a developer writes to the people who use it. The platform connects with other best-of-breed tools, improves the developer experience, and enables organizations to bring digital innovation to life continuously, adapt quickly, and unlock business outcomes that create market leaders and disruptors.
CloudBees was founded in 2010 and is backed by Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Bridgepoint Credit, HSBC, Golub Capital, Delta-v Capital, Matrix Partners, and Lightspeed Venture Partners. Visit www.cloudbees.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
About the Role
CloudBees is hiring a Software Engineering Manager to lead our Productivity Engineering solutions! This is an excellent opportunity to join CloudBees product development team, working with some of the best and brightest engineers and technical product managers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within an innovative and progressive
In this role, you will lead a team of highly talented individuals chartered to accelerate CloudBees' ability to deliver faster and better quality software and empowered self-service capabilities across the business. This position reports to the VP of SaaS Engineering and will play a key role in accelerating our delivering our solutions and value to our customers. This position requires a dedication to ethics and integrity, and the capability to innovate in a fast-paced industry.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE IS:
…a good people manager. Building, motivating and mentoring a world-class software engineering team is the most important part of this role. You should have a proven track record in attracting, hiring, and retaining top talent and excel in day-to-day people and performance management tasks, and inspire an atmosphere of feedback, continuous improvement and knowledge sharing.
…technically and operationally credible. You will regularly take part in deep-dive troubleshooting exercises and drive technical postmortem discussions to identify the root cause of complex issues. The ideal candidate has experience as a software or systems engineer.
...a strong project manager. The successful candidate will lead the creation of tools and processes to increase engineering productivity. A key strength is the ability to quantify and celebrate value delivery. Possess an excellent understanding of all aspects of software development, project management, quality assurance, and customer advocacy. Must be an advocate for modern software development practices, Lean and Agile thinking.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As an Engineering Manager, you will be the functional management point of contact for your assigned staff of 8–12 engineers. You will manage and lead an engineering team comprising front-end, back-end, and full-stack software engineers.
- Serve as an escalation point for issues, concerns, conflicts.
- Continuously promote the efficiency, effectiveness, and happiness of engineers.
- Ensure engineering team goals are accomplished effectively and in accordance with all necessary guidelines.
- Coach, mentor, guide, and develop team members to motivate, retain, and grow them within the organization.
- Participate in leadership meetings and work cross-functionally; build strong relationships with stakeholders, interacting frequently with our leadership team, and act as a leader/liaison for your team.
- Coordinate with talent acquisition, human resources, and senior engineering functional staff on staffing, recruiting, training, preparing and delivering performance evaluations, evaluating/recommending employees for promotions, evaluating salaries and coordinating on potential adjustments, and to mediate and resolve employee relations and performance matters.
- Mentor the teams on technical decision-making.
- Advocate for technical best practices while designing innovative, evolutionary architectures.
- Stay abreast and encourage the use of relevant tools, technologies, and development practices.
- Participate in product issue testing, failure root cause, and resolution.
- Define a team composition to enable the team to solve its own problems and deliver.
- Perform future software, staffing, and tool planning.
- Work with multiple CloudBees engineering teams and customer success managers in order to drive efficiency and self-service capabilities.
- Mentor and assist the teams to plan, prioritize, and manage workloads to ensure optimum delivery/service level to customers and stakeholders, and how best to collaborate and drive execution with our stakeholders, with a focus on streamlining processes.
WHAT THE ROLE REQUIRES
- 2+ years of experience as a manager for software engineering teams with proven people leadership skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in working on internal productivity engineering.
- 4+ years of hands-on experience in software engineering with high proficiency in problem-solving.
- 4+ years of experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to production.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related field
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated
- technical leadership
- Meets/exceeds CloudBees leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds CloudBees functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Successful Candidate Profile
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to effectively collaborate with team members is required.
- Technical credibility: experience as a Software Engineer in Test (or similar title).
- Experience with non-functional testing like performance, security, and chaos testing.
- Develops in Java or Groovy or a proven ability to pick up a new language quickly.
- Works with UI & API test automation tools, particularly in Java stack (e.g. JMeter, Gatling, Selenium, API testing).
- Works with Docker containers, Kubernetes, and/or Cloud providers (e.g. GCP, AWS).
- Experience with Continuous Integration systems (e.g. Jenkins, Travis, GitLab).
- Infrastructure debugging and problem-solving skills along with a drive to optimize build processes.
- Database Administration experience.
- Git administration experience.
- Defines high-level test automation strategy based on DevOps industry's best practices.
- Drives organizational change with cross-functional stakeholders.
- Operates independently and ask questions when stuck
- Demonstrates recent job longevity.
- Experience successfully managing at a remote-only company.
- Humble, servant leader.
- Jenkins experience.
- Values diversity, inclusion, and belonging in leadership.
- Is inquisitive: Asks great questions.
We are invested in you!
We offer competitive benefits packages, opportunities for professional development, and more. We also offer generous paid time off to allow our employees time to rest, recharge and to be present with family and friends throughout the year.
At CloudBees, we truly believe that the more diverse we are, the better we serve our customers. A global community like Jenkins demands a global focus from CloudBees. Organizations with greater diversity—gender, racial, ethnic, and global—are stronger partners to their customers. Whether by creating more innovative products, or better understanding our worldwide customers, or establishing a stronger cross-section of cultural leadership skills, diversity strengthens all aspects of the CloudBees organization.
In the technology industry, diversity creates a competitive advantage. CloudBees customers demand technologies from us that solve their software development, and therefore their business problems, so that they can better serve their own customers. CloudBees attributes much of its success to its worldwide work force and commitment to global diversity, which opens our proprietary software to innovative ideas from anywhere. Along the way, we have witnessed firsthand how employees, partners, and customers with diverse perspectives and experiences contribute to creative problem-solving and better solutions for our customers and their businesses.