Peju Winery is a family owned and operated winery located in Rutherford, in the heart of Napa Valley. Farming organically and sustainably, our estate-grown fruit develops into award winning wines that exhibit a graceful pairing of power and elegance. Peju Winery has been awarded Best Place to Work by the Northbay Business Journal for four years running. We are a Certified Green Winery committed to protecting the environment, providing extraordinary customer service, and recruiting smart, talented people to work with us.
Essential Job Functions:
Cellar Operations Management:
- Lead the planning and implementation of operating budgets with a focus on cost reduction and control. Assist in annual budget forecasting and development.
- Manage planning and tactical execution of Cellar and Bottling operations.
- Work with Winemaking to oversee daily schedule and monthly/annual plan with an emphasis on efficiency and quality.
- Time manages deadlines and scheduling.
- Manage staffing, training, safety and performance standards of employees.
- Develop and update operational procedures. Ensure implementation to improve efficiency.
- Oversee maintenance of equipment and sanitation requirements; ensure proper operation and care of equipment.
- Ensure records and inventory are maintained for warehousing, packaging, cellar, bottling and laboratory.
- Work with Winemaking to coordinate wine production activities involving harvest, bottling and wine maintenance.
- Write work orders as needed and ensure they are implemented to the highest standard and ensure accurate entry into Vintrace software.
- Oversee condition of Cellar including equipment, housekeeping, inventories and sanitation are performed according to the highest standards.
- Work with Winemaking to coordinate wine production activities through crush, fermentation, clarification, aging, blending, and bottling.
- Identify capacity limitations in Cellar equipment and production facilities.
- Research new equipment and develop recommendations to enhance quality and efficiency.
- Manage inventories of supplies and proper usage and track and timely reorder
- Direct and coordinate bottling operations including line efficiency, set up and change overs and sanitation.
- Manage and train staff to ensure quality control protocols are followed and incidents are documented and resolved immediately.
- Oversee daily operations of bottling line and schedule. Maintain standards for quality and daily line productivity.
- Ensure preventative maintenance is conducted to reduce downtime and costs.
Purchasing and Planning:
- Execute purchasing processes ensuring best price, right quantity and on time delivery. Ensure quality specifications, inventory and planning of timely reordering.
- Negotiate with vendors, suppliers and independent contractors to secure optimal prices, quality work and efficiency.
- Work with Winemaking to plan, coordinate and execute harvest activities ensuring team is aligned and workflow is efficient and safe.
- Work with Winemaking to order packaging supplies and ensure timely delivery.
- Oversee the installation of new and existing production equipment and develope procedures as required to train employees.
- Ensure the effective pursuit and completion of projects within budgetary guidelines while upholding high standards of excellence.
- Ensure equipment is maintained in good working condition. Improve, prevent and resolve machinery problems to ensure wine quality and drive efficiency as soon as discovered.
- Work with Facilities to maintain maintenance records, preventative maintenance schedules and inventory of equipment. Ensure efficient utilization of all production equipment.
- Assist in identifying and developing capital requests.
Safety and Compliance:
- Responsible for maintaining a safe working environment
- Interface with government officials concerning inspections, OSHA regulations, and related business.
- Ensure training and health & safety training of operations employees.
- BS in Enology, Biological Science, Chemistry or equivalent preferred; Associate degree considered with sufficient work experience. Prior experience as a Cellar Master and/or Bottling & Packaging experience strongly desired.
- Knowledge of major aspects of wine production, supervision, organization, and scheduling of personnel, equipment, and safety regulations
- Mechanical knowledge and bottling line experience required.
- Proficient in MS Excel and other MS Office programs.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate, help document workflow, and work with little supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively with supervisor and staff and work as a team.
- Knowledge and understanding of standard tests and analysis performed in winemaking.
- Wine knowledge necessary.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.