1517 Media is a dynamic team of publishing professionals seeking to grow our trade publishing program. We publish high-quality books that nourish souls, ignite minds, and promote the common good. 1517 Media strives to create an environment of inclusiveness, equity, and respect for all regardless of ability, age, ethnicity, faith, gender, gender identity, nation of origin, race, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status.
Beaming Books publishes high-quality children’s books that help kids thrive in every part of who they are—emotionally, socially, and spiritually. With topics ranging from self-esteem to kindness, ethics, and faith, our books are designed to spark the imagination and equip kids and families to live full and flourishing lives, together.
Beaming Books seeks an Assistant Editor to join our editorial department in our downtown Minneapolis office. The Assistant Editor will provide essential editorial and administrative support to the Editorial Director on children's book projects.
The Assistant Editor will:
- Manage production of assigned book projects from manuscript to finished book (both print and digital), and independently manage 1-2 titles per season
- Consult with acquisitions editors on the vision and creative needs of each book
- Assist acquisitions editors in providing materials and information for sales, marketing, and publicity for assigned titles, coordinate reprints and paperbacks, and update metadata for backlist
- Review proofs and manage the work of freelance copyeditors and proofreaders
- Generate and track contract and payment requests
- Work with other departments such as design, purchasing, marketing, and finance as needed to move book projects through copyediting, page layout, and proof review to manufacturing
- Create and track project schedules and budgets to deliver books to press on time and on budget
- Manage and execute efficient publishing processes for book production, author/illustrator communication, digital file creation, project archiving, and other aspects of the publishing process
Desired education and experience:
- BA degree required in English, Journalism, or related field
- 1-3 years of experience editing picture books, juvenile nonfiction, and juvenile fiction preferred
Desired knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of children's book marketplace
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office Word and Excel required; knowledge of PPT, Bookscan, databases, Adobe Creative Suite, and ability to produce reports a plus
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, set priorities, and work independently
- Strong organizational skills and keen attention to details
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, project management, and problem resolution skills
- Understands and values a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic environment, seeking continuous improvement
Please include your resume and cover letter with your application.
1517 Media offers a competitive salary and a full list of benefits, including vacation for new employees, sick time, health, retirement, a pre-tax transportation program, and no-cost gym access in the 510 Marquette fitness center. You will work in a fun and creative environment with a talented group of individuals that have a passion for their work. The beautiful, newly-designed headquarters hosts 90 employees in downtown Minneapolis with adjacent access to Light Rail and MetroTransit bus lines.