The Traveling Apartment Maintenance Technician assists in maintaining the day-to-day maintenance operations of properties across the country. In this role, the Traveling Service Technician will travel to properties across our national, diverse portfolio and become deeply involved with preparing our site teams and staff for new property acquisitions. The Traveling Service Technician will go to various sites and provide hands-on labor including assessing apartments and working to get them ready for tenants, preparing for inspections, HVAC troubleshooting, electrical troubleshooting, fixture installations, plumbing troubleshooting, carpentry and minor construction, drywall repair, vinyl and carpet repair, appliance repair, etc. Helps identify problems before they arise.
- Inspect buildings and equipment, checking to ensure that assigned work has been completed in a timely and professional manner, assessing the property for needed repairs and capital improvements and performing necessary preventative maintenance.
- Implement property maintenance policies and standards to serve as guide to other property workers in a bid to prevent misuse of property appliances which could result to damage.
- Ensure that properties are safe and void of any danger to their occupants, visitors, and workers by putting away harmful objects and equipment, and putting in place machinery to handle emergencies, such as fire outbreaks; and create exit routes with proper direction for easy location during emergencies.
- Diagnose and document problems with appliances and facilitate their prompt repairs for the convenience of property users, and carry out repairs on minor problems, such as light fixtures, clogged toilets, leakages, peeling wall and furniture.
- Check electrical wiring for accuracy and compliance with regulatory standards to avoid accidents.
- Clean and prepare vacated buildings and rooms, getting them ready for new occupants to move in.
- Perform needed repairs as needed on properties including minor plumbing, electrical, carpentry, appliance repair, painting, and minor maintenance of heating and cooling systems.
- Check safety systems and devices for operational effectiveness monthly.
- Document status of equipment and systems and manage the correction of deficiencies needing further attention.
- Develop and maintain an effective working rapport with tenants, vendors, and representatives of community agencies.
- Participate in the on-call rotation when assigned to a property. Respond in a timely manner to emergency maintenance problems which may require attention outside of normal working hours.
- Immediately notify supervisor of any safety hazards.
- Maintain an inventory of supplies, tools, and equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, the following skills and/or experience is required to qualify for the position.
- Mechanical skills: The maintenance technician is required to have mechanical skills to handle minor repairs and fixtures
- Knowledge of electricity: Knowing how electricity works will help the technician to diagnose electrical problems and carry out minor repairs
- General maintenance skills: With good maintenance skills, the technician will know how things work and how to keep the place organized, as well as how to tackle maintenance tasks in a fast and easy manner
- Verbal and written communication skills: The property maintenance technician needs to have strong communications skills for effective delivery of information to clients, colleagues, and management.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Prior experience as a Service Technician or in a similar role.
- HVAC, CMRP, or equivalent certification preferred.
- Ability to stand for extended periods.
- Ability to lift up to 70 pounds without assistance.
- Ability to travel up to 90% of the time
- Dexterity and attention to detail.
Fairstead is a vertically integrated real estate company specializing in affordable and mixed-income housing. Since 2014, Fairstead has acquired and/or developed more than $7.8 Billion of multifamily property across the country, and today owns a portfolio of 24,000 apartments in 28 states. The company’s comprehensive platform provides hands-on expertise across all multifamily disciplines, including acquisitions, development, design and construction, energy and sustainability, property management and social services.
Fairstead’s primary mission is to provide high quality housing to all regardless of income, and to make our stakeholders feel “Right at Home.” We accomplish this through an empathetic and innovative approach, and by utilizing our interdisciplinary platform as an investor, developer, owner, and operator. Fairstead provides hands-on expertise across all multifamily disciplines, including acquisitions, development, design, construction, energy, sustainability, property management and social services. With a long-term commitment to its residents, communities, and partners, the Fairstead team stands out by:
· Listening to and understanding the needs of its residents, communities, partners, and stakeholders alike
· Developing and preserving high quality affordable housing in an innovative and sustainable fashion
· Creating a positive social and environmental impact within the properties and communities it serves
Fairstead’s Core Values