***NOTE TO CANDIDATES***
The Airport Security Officer position is a specialized classification directly related to law enforcement duties and requirements. Candidates who are not an active or retired law enforcement officer and do not have a PC 832 certification will not be considered.
Position: Airport Security Officer Status: Part-time Hourly
Reports to: Airport Security Manager Location: San Bernardino International Airport
This is specialized work providing for the protection of civilian/commercial aviation passengers, visitors, aircraft, employees and facilities. Work involves specialized security requirements of an airport including traffic direction, assisting with the arrest and detention of persons suspected of violating local, state or federal laws or regulations, vehicular and foot patrols, report writing and participation in training sessions on airport related issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include the Following:
- Provides ongoing surveillance of airport facility buildings and the surrounding grounds
- Provides security protection for civilian/commercial aviation, aircraft and passengers.
- Assists Airport Operations personnel.
- Provides vehicle escorts in the Airport Operations Area.
- Investigates incidents and documents events in a report format.
- Coordinates law enforcement and security airport staff, airport security personnel and work with City, County, State and Federal Law Enforcement agencies.
- Assists in providing medical assistance (first aid) as needed until emergency medical technicians arrive at the scene.
- Establishes, maintains, and fosters positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including the public, vendors, contractors, and agency staff
- Renders assistance to motorists as needed.
- Inspects buildings and responds to fire and burglary alarms.
- Handles multiple tasks with shifting priorities, occasional interruptions of planned work activities such as phone calls, citizen contacts, and unplanned events.
- Performs related duties as required.
Employee must successfully pass medical exam and be certified as physically fit to perform the required duties. There are no light duty security assignments. Officers found unable to perform the duties identified below will be removed from the work schedule pending a fit for duty report by a certified physician.
- Ability to overcome resistance and effect an arrest.
- Safely drive patrol vehicles around obstacles and aircraft in complex areas.
- Carry and retain weapons and equipment under adverse conditions or while making an arrest.
- Coordinate movement of upper and lower body as needed to drive airport security vehicles.
- Stand and/or walk for long hours.
- Climb stairs and ladders, and patrol airport terminal and grounds.
- Climb into small spaces as needed to check buildings and other areas of the airport.
- Use of hands and fingers.
- Speaking and hearing to efficiently communicate in person and on radio or telephone.
- Ability to smell to distinguish/identify odors/objects.
- Specific vision abilities include close, distance, color and peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Able to move from place to place, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Occasional lifting/carrying up to 25 pounds.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must be willing to work nights, shifts and weekends.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Must be an active law enforcement officer or retired law enforcement officer in good standing
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Must possess a valid California State Driver License.
- Maintain security clearances consistent with airport requirements and federal guidance.
- Must have the ability to obtain a BSIS Guard Card and Firearms permit within 30 days of employment
- 832 PC Qualified
- Current First Aid
- Valid CCW endorsement issued by previous employer preferred
Employment from San Bernardino International Airport Authority is contingent upon successfully passing a drug screening test and a background check which may include a fingerprint check. Must be able to successfully complete a TSA and/or Airport back ground check that may include a Federal Security Threat Assessments, 10-year Criminal History Record Check or other required background investigation.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat; risk of electrical shock; explosives; risk of radiation; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but will vary determined by proximity of aircraft. There may be periodic contact with angry and upset individuals.