The Business Accountant provides key financial support to the Alliance’s Design + Construction team and is responsible for the billing, accounting, financial reporting, budgeting and KPI tracking of this important business unit. The position reports to the Controller but is located in the D&C office and closely supports the Vice President, Capital & Landscape Management in administering and monitoring the financial systems, workflow processes and activities that are integral to the operations of the Design & Construction Department and which contribute to the ongoing successful operation of the Alliance.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY JOB OUTCOMES
- Prepare, submit and track NYC Parks design and construction supervision fee invoices and monitor accounts receivable, following up on payment delays as necessary
- Prepare, submit and track NYC Parks Work Orders for capital projects, following up on approval delays as necessary. Track Work Orders against the Alliance’s contract limit with NYC Parks.
- Work collaboratively with NYC Parks representatives to ensure that questions related to invoices and work orders are resolved quickly
- Create and process design consultant and construction contracts; review and process consultant and general contractor invoices; track compliance with contractual insurance requirements.
- Track and monitor progress of fees and expenses associated with all capital projects
- Oversee and administer the time tracking software used to track billable hours and to generate billing invoices
- Perform Design & Construction-related accounting tasks that form part of month-end and year-end closings, including journal entries, reconciliations of accounts receivable and application of cash receipts
- Prepare the quarterly forecasts and annual budgets for the Design & Construction department, and track monthly progress towards achievement of these financial plans
- Develop and implement a project management tracking system for capital projects, creating project timelines aligned with the budget assumptions and setting staffing assignments and priorities to ensure achievement of the budget commitment
- Develop and update business KPI’s and report on these monthly to leadership
- Develop and maintain a database of key data and information pertaining to Alliance capital projects
- Manage “Petty Cash” and other financial related administrative tasks and activities for the department
Performs other job-related duties and functions as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or other related field
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience as an accountant for a nonprofit organization or public agency
- Experience in at least one or more of the following core accounting areas: general financial analysis and reporting, accounts payable, accounts receivable budgeting
COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Personal Attributes)
- Passion for the Alliance Mission & Core Values: A passion for public parks and environmental conservation combined with a commitment to treating others with respect, appreciating individual differences and embracing the values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Ethics & Integrity: Earns the trust and respect of others through a consistent commitment to integrity, honesty and professionalism in all interactions.
- Accounting Knowledge: Strong knowledge of accounting principles, general bookkeeping and all aspects of general ledger accounting to manage and maintain books of record. Understands the concepts involved in maintaining a system of internal controls and knows the principles of financial auditing.
- Fiscal Accountability: Follows fiscal guidelines, regulations, principles, and standards when committing fiscal resources or processing financial transactions.
- Organization & Accountability: Meticulously well-organized with diligent attention to detail, ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and takes pride in consistently producing accurate, timely and quality work products with minimal supervision.
- Planning, Organizing & Problem-Solving: Defines tasks and milestones to achieve objectives and ensures the optimal use of resources to effectively solve problems and accomplish work objectives. Alerts others to possible problems in a timely fashion and knows when to seek support and direction from others to solve problems, while offering possible solutions. Acts on solutions selected and decisions made.
- Collaboration & Teamwork: Committed to working in collaboration with others, promoting cooperation and commitment to others and being a positive team contributor.
- Customer Service: Exhibits a strong commitment to delivering excellent and responsive service to internal and external customers.
- Technology: Proficient with automated technologies that support area of responsibility including G-Suite and Microsoft Office Suite.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work is normally performed in an interior office setting which does not subject the employee to any hazardous or unusual elements
- Requires use of a desktop, laptop, or video display terminal
- Requires routine physical movements with limited physical exertion required
- Ability to communicate, receive and understand information through oral and written communication and proofread and check documents for accuracy
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms
Diversity Makes Us Stronger Together: Prospect Park Alliance serves park users of all socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and strives to reflect this diversity throughout our operations and in our leadership, staff, stakeholders and supporters. We know that by creating an equitable and inclusive workplace built on mutual respect and the appreciation of difference, our employees will feel safe to express themselves, voice their opinions and work together to find common ground and solutions. Integral to this vision is our longstanding commitment to provide equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment