For over 50 years, Legal Aid Chicago has provided free civil legal assistance to people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago. Each year our attorneys, volunteers, and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Legal Aid Chicago was founded on the philosophy that all individuals are entitled to quality civil legal representation, regardless of their income. We work to ensure that poverty is not an impediment to justice by dismantling the legal barriers that perpetuate inequality. Legal Aid Chicago staff live our mission through our core values of equity, excellence, inclusion, kindness, and respect.
Position: Legal Aid Chicago is seeking a part-time HR Assistant. Under the direct supervision of the Human Resources Director, the HR Assistant is responsible for supporting the multiple functional areas within human resources by providing administrative tasks and services to support effective and efficient operations.
- Provide clerical and administrative support to the human resources department. Coordinate human resources projects, meetings, training, surveys; process documentation and prepare reports relating to personnel activities (e.g. recruitment, benefits, training, grievances, and performance evaluations).
- Process onboarding activities including background checks, offer letters, new hire documents, benefits, entering data into the HRIS, and other related tasks.
- Facilitate weekly new hire orientation.
- Process all terminations including creating termination letters, updating payroll/HRIS system, and other related tasks.
- Perform routine recruiting, selection and employment processes (e.g. writing/editing job descriptions, advertising, preparing screening criteria, scheduling interviews)
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date HRIS records, human resource files, and documentation. Make recommendations for record maintenance personnel files. Perform routine audits to ensure compliance with governing regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A demonstrated understanding of the functional areas of human resources including benefits administration, employee/labor relations, recruiting and staffing, training and development, and performance management
- Experience with web-based HRIS applications; experience with Paylocity, a plus
- Demonstrated organizational skills, with the ability to be flexible and to multi-task to achieve objectives in a timely fashion
- Must have a congenial disposition and be able to remain calm under pressure
- Ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written forms with good presentation/facilitation skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively at all levels within the organization
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, planning, and project management skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Ability to self-motivate and work-autonomously within a fast-paced and changing environment
- An exceptional level of integrity with the ability to handle sensitive, confidential information in a professional manner
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook is required; familiarity with SharePoint preferred
Education and Experience: A bachelor’s degree in human resources, business management, or related discipline is preferred. Candidates must have least one (1) year of human resources support experience in a professional services environment. Prior experience working with a non-profit organization is a plus.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Legal Aid Chicago offers a comprehensive benefits package, including low-cost employer-paid health plan options, employer-provided group life and long-term disability insurance, fitness center access, generous paid time off, and much more.
To Apply: Provide your cover letter, resume, and the contact information of two professional references.