The Learning Center for the Deaf (TLC) is a national center of excellence—celebrating, serving, and connecting deaf and hard of hearing children and adults. We offer a wide range of educational, therapeutic, audiological and community services, in American Sign Language, English and Spanish, and we employ a large number of deaf and hard of hearing experts across all levels of our organization. The interpreting services department is a full-service community interpreter referral service, and represents a $1M+ line of business. Our interpreting services include K-12 education settings, colleges, mental health, platform, healthcare, legal, and all varieties of community contracted work for both children and adults who may or may not be affiliated with TLC.
The DIRECTOR OF INTERPRETING SERVICES is responsible for the oversight of all operations within the Department of Interpreting Services, including contracts for both internal and external clients, management of all projects, technology, strategic planning, integrity to mission and financial and quality goals. This position works closely with the TLC Administration on expanding Interpreting Services internally and externally, including the supervision of department staff and effective fiscal management.
The Director of Interpreting Services is a highly responsible, professional position that will oversee TLC Interpreting operations, including, but not limited to:
• Supervise and inspire team members to generate strategic goal performance and ensure high-quality work and excellent customer service.
• Develop and implement annual staffing plans to meet department and service needs.
• Provide departmental leadership to maximize performance and professional development among interpreters and other departmental staff.
• Support the growth of the interpreting profession by overseeing the mentoring of internal and external interpreters.
• Ability to represent TLC and the interpreting profession on a local, state, and national level to effectively market TLC Interpreting Services, as well as recruit interpreting talent.
• Collaborate with local agencies and organization to provide high quality services for the Deaf, DeafBlind and hard of hearing communities.
• Ability to interpret and/or advise on high profile and high-stake assignments.
• Prepare and maintain all required records, documents and reports related to Interpreting Services operations and activities, including budgets, service reports and other information as needed or requested.
• Review client/consumer evaluations and follow-up as needed. Promptly resolve any service quality issues that may arise.
• Negotiates rates, terms, and condition of contracts for interpreting services; present such contracts to the Chief Operating Officer for approval prior to execution.
• Take the lead role in interpreting services business development, including the generation of new client contracts and maintenance and retention of existing clients.
• Collaborate with the Advancement Office to develop marketing strategies to generate business, contracts and grant opportunities.
• Compile, review, and evaluate monthly departmental results and statistics.
• Develop and manage the annual budget.
• Advocate for clients and employees on issues of interpreter services or communication access.
SUPERVISION AND LEADERSHIP
• Provide supervision and support to Interpreting Services staff.
o Collaborate with the Mainstream Coordinator to ensure effective interpreting in mainstream education settings.
o Provide supervision and support to Interpreter Coordinator to approve time sheets, service records and other documents necessary.
o Oversee test site logistics and billing through the accounting department.
o Oversee interpreter practicum and internship placements including supervision of interpreting students and mentees.
o Provide support to the interpreting team regarding workshops, training, and outreach opportunities for both TLC employees and the external community.
o Responsible to oversee all projects and provide supervision and support to staff interpreter when tasks are delegated.
• Oversee the hiring and development of all Interpreting Services employees.
o Screen, interview and evaluate all department staff.
o Effectively recruit and on-board interpreters.
o Assign and coordinate staff responsibilities; monitor and evaluate staff performance.
o Train staff as appropriate to maximize departmental performance and staff development.
o Observe interpreters at assignments; provide training direction, coaching and feedback to interpreters and other staff.
o Meet with TLC administrators and other departments to ensure quality of interpreting services.
o Embody the philosophy of “management by walking around”.
• Strong professional, diplomacy and relationship-building skills.
• The ability to communicate clearly in writing and signing.
• Passion for, and commitment to, TLC’s mission.
• ASL and English proficiency required (Deaf applicants strongly encouraged to apply)
• Experienced at compiling and managing budgets.
• Possess a minimum of a bachelor’s degree (master’s degree preferred).
• A minimum of three to five years’ professional experience in a leadership role.
• Minimum of 7-10 years of interpreting in a variety of settings.
• Valid certification issued by the Registry of Interpreters of the Deaf (RID) strongly preferred.
• Ability to demonstrate knowledge and application of RID Code of Professional Conduct and American Deaf Culture.
• Strong technology abilities with a variety of software programs.