The Chicago Sun-Times is looking for a Director of Marketing to help us grow our reach, revenue, and impact as a nonprofit news organization. We’re looking for someone who is excited to grow the audience for our independent, local journalism in ways that support long-term sustainability. This means bringing in new readers online and in print, driving user engagement along the path to conversion, and growing awareness about our organization’s brand, history, and future ambitions, locally and nationally.
You should have a track record of success in both digital marketing and offline channels, savvy data and financial management skills, and thrive on communication and teamwork. Our ideal candidate is passionate about the Chicago Sun-Times, has thought deeply about the future of the media business, and is comfortable working at the intersection of editorial, audience development, project management, and brand marketing.
What you’ll do
- Develop and implement comprehensive, holistic marketing strategies and plans focused on brand awareness and funnel development.
- Oversee development and use of marketing budget for Sun-Times products; implement, grow and optimize paid marketing initiatives to meet performance goals.
- Track and report performance results regularly to stakeholders in leadership across departments.
- Oversee the development and execution of community events, partnerships, and other outreach activities.
- Partner with cross-departmental colleagues to identify, collect and leverage relevant data from internal and external sources to help formulate a marketing strategy.
- Build and leverage community organization relationships to further audience development and brand initiatives.
- Manage external agencies and vendors to support creative and technical deliverables.
- Manage, support, and develop marketing team members.
What we’re looking for
- Committed to our public service mission, with some experience in media, nonprofits, or mission-focused enterprise preferred.
- Hands-on experience building and executing a customer growth strategy, ideally for a media/content or direct-to-consumer company
- Experience with digital advertising and audience development methods (e.g., email, social media, SEO, etc) with proven experience implementing best practices to advance organizational capabilities in both paid and owned marketing channels
- Entrepreneurial instincts and hands-on attitude. Eye for the big picture, but also an enjoyment of hands-on, day-to-day operations. Creative approach to problem-solving.
- Outstanding communication skills and an ability to work with both C-suite stakeholders and internal team members
- Outstanding project management and analytical skills, including the use of metrics to guide projects/decisions.
- Financial management skills, including budgeting and forecasting.
- Expertise in using data to drive marketing decisions.
- Detail-oriented and strong project management skills, ability to juggle projects with many cross-functional teams.
We’d like you to have familiarity with at least some of the marketing and membership technologies we use, which include Campaign Monitor, Piano, Naviga, Springboard, Google Analytics, Parsley, Looker, Salesforce, and Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
We know there are great candidates who may not meet all of our criteria in this job posting — or who have important skills we haven’t included. We still want to hear from you — particularly because we know that women and people of color are less likely to apply for positions where this is true! If you have questions about the position, contact Celeste LeCompte at email@example.com
This is a full-time position reporting to the Chief Audience Officer at Chicago Public Media, which acquired the Chicago Sun-Times in January 2022. We are a hybrid workplace, with offices at two iconic locations in the city — Navy Pier and the Old Post Office — and flexible schedules for in-office days.