The Gulf of Maine Research Institute (GMRI) develops and delivers collaborative solutions to global ocean challenges. We are dedicated to the resilience of the Gulf of Maine ecosystem and the communities that depend on it. To learn more, visit gmri.org.
We are seeking an experienced marketing manager to expand awareness of our mission and services among key audiences. The person in this role will be responsible for driving growth across multiple channels, including e-mail subscribers, social media followers, event attendees, and donors. The marketing manager will also increase conversion across a variety of calls to action (subscribe, follow, donate, register, etc.) in service of our fundraising efforts and other key initiatives.
The successful candidate will join a communications team of three full-time and one part-time staff. If you are a talented digital marketing professional in the for-profit sector, this may be a good opportunity to use your skills to support climate solutions, healthy ocean ecosystems, sustainable seafood, and our regional marine economy. If you are a non-profit marketing professional who takes a data-driven approach to audience growth and conversion, this may be an opportunity to take the next step in your career with a growing non-profit in Portland, Maine.
Desired Skills & Experience:
The ideal candidate for this position is:
- A data-driven marketing expert who is well-versed in digital marketing best practices (prior work in a for-profit digital marketing role a plus);
- An experienced project manager capable of planning and executing a series of strategic multi-channel campaigns;
- A skilled copywriter with experience translating complex concepts into simple, persuasive promotions;
- An experienced email marketer who is a power-user of MailChimp (or similar platform);
- A data-driven marketer who knows how to create meaning/strategy from large sets of constituent/customer data and has experience gathering and acting on good audience data from multiple sources in a for-profit or non-profit context; and
- An experienced brand steward with a good eye for design and experience managing brand partnerships.
The ideal candidate will have the skills and abilities to:
- Promote and follow up on events as part of a customer engagement strategy
- Self-serve on simple design jobs and work collaboratively with designers using tools such as Adobe creative suite.
- Introduce new digital marketing tools and processes to the organization across all channels, including email automations, paid and organic social strategies, ad-buys, etc.
This position will report to the Communications Director and work in partnership with our Program Communications Specialist, Communications Project Manager, and Graphic Designer, as well as our fundraising team. This position will be primarily responsible for three basic goals:
- Leverage a steady stream of stories, press clips, videos, newsletter articles, and other content to grow our audience across multiple marketing channels
- Use digital marketing and fundraising tools to convert new and existing audiences on specific calls to action, mostly in service of online and offline fundraising efforts
- Partner with our events specialist to promote and leverage great “handshake” opportunities for our audience to get to know GMRI
To do that, the successful candidate will have specific responsibilities in the following areas:
- Annual appeal: Work in conjunction with fundraising staff to develop print and e-appeals throughout the year
- Email marketing: Executes campaigns to drive event attendance, creates automated customer journeys for new and old subscribers, increases subscribers to newsletter and blog
- Paid: Manages ad spending across social, web, print, radio, tv, etc.
- Social media: Manage day-to-day activities (with support from others on the team) with a focus on audience growth and donor acquisition/stewardship
- Print: Manages print vendor relationship to ensure print project delivery
- Events: Drives event attendance for GMRI events and develops a strategy for brand partnership events, our presence at festivals, conferences, etc.
- Web: Manages google analytics, responsible for some web editing and processes through a CMS, drives paid search/google ads, integrates Eventbrite, FundraiseUp, and other plugins to convert CTAs
- In-lab experience: Facilitating presentations to donors and other key stakeholders using digital signage and other tools. Research: Partner with a fundraising-focused data team to ask and answer strategic questions and find new opportunities to engage our audience.
We are seeking experienced candidates with a proven track record of success in a similar role. Candidates of all educational backgrounds are encouraged to apply, provided they have appropriate experience in the field.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Gulf of Maine Research Institute has a long-standing policy and commitment to providing equal access and equal employment opportunities in all terms, conditions, processes, and benefits of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status. GMRI's employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status.
Applicants and employees are encouraged to voluntarily self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender, disability status and veteran status to assist GMRI in fulfilling various data reporting requirements of the federal government. This self-identification is completely voluntary, will be kept confidential and separate from your application data, and used only to meet federal reporting requirements. Providing or declining to provide this information will not result in adverse action of any kind.
Salary and Benefits:
Gulf of Maine Research Institute offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Salary: $74,100 – $83,700
All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter and résumé. Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will close on February 3, 2023.
Per GMRI’s Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all GMRI personnel are required to maintain full vaccination status against COVID-19, as defined by CDC, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved.