TITLE: Internal Auditor
FLSA: Exempt: Professional
REPORTS TO: Director of Internal Audit
The Bishop of Manchester is the visible principal and foundation of unity in the particular diocese entrusted to him. In a unique and visible way, he makes Christ’s mission present and enduring as Shepherd of the Christian Community. In order to fulfill his mission, the Bishop employs suitable, chosen collaborators (clerics, religious, or lay people). He shares with them the apostolic mission and entrusts various responsibilities to them.
Each position employed in at The Diocese of Manchester helps to extend the ministry of the Bishop in particular ways as outlined in the position description. All employees of the diocese assist the Bishop of Manchester in serving the parishes, schools and institutions of the Catholic Church in New Hampshire.
The Internal Auditor will plan and perform on site reviews of parishes, schools, missions and institutions in the Diocese of Manchester. The incumbent will review accounting and financial management, internal controls, compliance with laws and regulations, and perform analytical reviews of financial statements.
1. Interview key parish personnel.
2. Perform detail testing of transactions as well as testing through inquiry, corroborative inquiry, and observation.
3. Provide an objective assessment of the parish’s understanding of risk exposures.
4. Provide concrete recommendations, advice and training to safeguard parish assets, as well as improve the financial operations of the parish.
5. Provide concrete recommendations on how to reduce the risk of financial mismanagement, theft, or misappropriation of funds.
6. Provide an assessment of controls relative to existing risk management strategies at the parish.
7. Prepare an internal audit report for each parish review with the results of each review along with the parish financial statements and footnotes.
8. Travel to parishes within the state of New Hampshire on a routine basis.
9. The PIA must have the flexibility to work weekends and evenings to observe the offertory collection and count as well as attend parish Finance Council meetings as needed.
10. Foster good working relationship with priests and parish staff.
11. Present reports and results of reviews to the Pastor and Parish Finance Councils.
12. Investigate unusual items appearing in parish financial reports, conduct investigation of parish finances when misappropriation is suspected.
13. Avoid conflicts of interest with parishes.
14. Research issues and topics and draft summary memorandums.
15. Be informed of current issues affecting accounting, management, taxation or ministry.
16. Special projects and other duties, including forensic accounting and financial investigations, if necessary, as assigned by the Finance Officer.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- A CPA/MBA or equivalent experience is preferred.
- Financial Statement and/or Internal Audit experience strongly preferred. Forensic accounting training or experience or equivalent experience preferred.
- The successful candidate will also have experience in operational finance, financial analysis and/or financial planning.
- Direct experience preparing and reviewing complete financial statements.
- Experience with presentations or public speaking experience is preferred. This individual will deliver presentations to small groups of individuals on a regular basis at Parish Finance Council meetings and on occasion at workshops.
- The successful candidate would be technically competent including an understanding of financial reporting and analysis.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Impeccable integrity and analytical mindset.
- Work with minimum supervision with a good understanding of when to seek guidance.
- An ability to manage conflicting views and opinions.
- Self-motivating, enthusiastic, team playing, extroverted, cultural sensitive with a “can-do” attitude.
- Visual acuity both near and far, routine travel involved, manual dexterity with good eye/hand coordination, good hearing, speech, the ability to operate computer and mouse, copier, fax machine, printer, telephone and lift up to approximately 25lbs.
Due to the nature of this position, it is required that the incumbent be a practicing Roman Catholic, in good standing with the Church who possesses a supportive and energetic attitude toward the Church, her teachings and her work.
1. General office - clean, well-lit
2. Minimal exposure to chemicals related to copier equipment and general office solvents
3. Lifting and carrying objects up to ten pounds frequently required; lifting and carrying objects weighing between eleven and fifty pounds occasionally required
4. Occasionally required to reach at shoulder level; reaching below shoulder level frequently required
5. Frequent hand manipulation is required in operating equipment; occasional hand manipulation is required in grasping and/or handling materials and objects and/or handling controls
6. Other physical activity (twisting, bending, squatting, crawling, kneeling, climbing) occasionally required
7. Position requires working at desk approximately two-thirds of the workday; balance of time divided between standing and walking