Are you passionate about food, farms, and farmers? Have you managed major events and outreach for national brands or organizations? Do you want to work somewhere that makes an impact and offers competitive benefits? Read on.
About American Farmland Trust
American Farmland Trust takes a holistic approach to agriculture, focusing on the land, the agricultural practices used on that land, and the farmers and ranchers who do the work. Since our founding in 1980, AFT has helped permanently protect over 6.5 million acres of agricultural lands, advanced environmentally-sound farming practices on millions of additional acres and helped thousands of farm families make a go of it. Long a pioneering leader, AFT is now riding a new wave of growth, driven by agriculture’s most pressing needs and opportunities.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are inclusive. We embrace differences. We recognize and respect the fundamental value and dignity of all our employees. We celebrate the unique traditions, heritages, and experiences our employees bring to the workplace. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive culture that promotes and values diversity, and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work every day.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, expression or identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Farmland Trust complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we have facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
American Farmland Trust is recruiting for an ambitious events staffer with a strategic mindset and a passion for building relationship. The Marketing Events & Outreach Coordinator will work across the organization and with vendors, supporters, beneficiaries and partners around the country to conduct outreach, deliver communications, coordinate initiatives, and develop new resources to support AFT’s mission.
The ideal candidate will have background planning and executing large-scale industry events and public outreach campaigns across all major event formats and will show this through a minimum of 2 years of experience supporting events in a similar function. This position reports to the Marketing Manager and is an integral part of the national Communications team.
AFT’s marketing team deploys multi-channel, integrated marketing communications across several event formats to support the communication goals and grow the supporter base of the organization. The Marketing Events & Outreach Associate works with the Marketing Manager to plan and implement event and outreach strategies for AFT. This role will coordinate the operations of AFT’s event plan and conduct critical outreach, including externally and internally, to support Development, Programs, and the Executive teams. The role will also have other marketing responsibilities, as needed.
What You’ll Be Working On
- Make significant contributions to AFT’s events and outreach strategic plan.
- Implement AFT’s events and outreach plan, including but not limited to coordinating event participant lists, preparing all pre-event communications like creative content and materials, managing in-event tabling operations, collecting photo and video content, and conducting post-event research.
- Lead coordination of key AFT events.
- Represent AFT at external events and outreach at public meetings, conferences, workshops, and trainings.
- Develop new, compelling events and outreach tools and/or programming that is responsive to organizational needs and culturally, socially, and strategically relevant to diverse supporter audiences.
- Monitor event and outreach metrics for insights and reporting to manager, team and organization, while also innovating new tactics and performance-improving measures for event performance across event formats.
- Coordinate event and outreach inquiries from AFT staff; train AFT staff in best practices for events.
- Prospect and conduct lead development on special event projects, including panel and speaker proposal writing, opportunity monitoring and evaluation, and reporting activities.
- Work with event organizers to schedule and position AFT staff as speakers.
- Maintain events portion of internal AFT calendar.
- Create high-quality outreach and marketing content.
- Help to cultivate strong brand affinity and relationships with supporters and agricultural, environmental, research, business, and community partner organizations.
The ideal candidate has 2+ years of practical experience in events or marketing along with a desire to support farmland, agriculture, and conservation. Additionally, they should possess:
- Experience with and willingness for regular travel (6x per year) to attend events around the country and to support dozens of smaller events throughout the year.
- Exceptional verbal communication and ability working across diverse stakeholder groups.
- Experience developing event plans, as well as managing event calendars.
- Strong background in all tools of outreach and demonstrated success integrating technology to solve event-based needs.
- Willingness to work during special event hours and periods to achieve outstanding results.
- Background in communications and/or marketing is highly desired, especially regarding agriculture, food, farming, land stewardship, natural resources conservation, climate, and/or policy.
- Professional experience working directly with farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural and environmental organizations and stakeholders is strongly preferred.
- Highly responsible with a strong sense of ethics; trustworthy, dependable.
- Ability to meet deadlines, multi-task, and be flexible.
- A collaborative working style; proactive and entrepreneurial.
Education & Experience
A combination of professional tools, education, and record of results.
- Minimum 2 years professional experience in marketing, PR or event and outreach roles.
- Event, marketing and/or communications portfolio and references.
Why you should apply
- Competitive compensation & benefits.
- Remote work opportunities and flexible scheduling.
- Purpose-driven, committed, high-performing, and experienced staff.
- A family-friendly, diverse, and inclusive work environment.
- An organization that you can be proud to serve.