Department: Production - Stage Management
Status: Full-Time, Volunteer
Dates: July 17, 2023 to April 28, 2024 OR March 24, 2024
Deadline to Apply: Applications will be reviewed beginning on March 27, 2023
Milwaukee Repertory Theater, a LORT theater located in the heart of Wisconsin’s largest metropolitan area, is currently seeking applicants for the position of Stage Management Resident. Our mission is to ignite positive changes in the cultural, social, and economic vitality of our community by creating world-class theater experiences that entertain, provoke, and inspire meaningful dialogue among an audience representative of Milwaukee’s rich diversity. It is important that our hiring practices reflect our ongoing commitment to diversity and anti-racism, we strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. We are further committed to considering applicants who are well-rounded but do not fulfill every qualification.
The Stage Management resident works and learns directly alongside the contingent of AEA stage managers during the rehearsal, tech, and performance process for productions in all 4 venues. This position develops superb skills in the prep, rehearsal, and performance processes of stage managers for all sizes of productions as well as maintaining a SM department on a day to day basis.
- Work alongside AEA Stage Managers from all over the country
- Participate in the rehearsal process for 5-8 productions
- Develop an intimate understanding of the production process for a large regional theater producing multiple productions simultaneously
This position follows the rehearsal schedule for assigned productions. Hours include nights and weekends. Additional days off or shorter days are given to offset longer hours whenever possible.
All EPRS residents will have:
- Demonstrated skills for department
- Good communication skills
- Strong work ethic
- A level of maturity and self-sufficiency to work in a professional theater environment
- Initiative to embrace relevant learning opportunities
Successful candidates will have previous stage management experience on an educational or small professional/non-professional level. They will be self-motivated with keen attention to detail.
All Milwaukee Rep company members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before beginning work and will be required to receive boosters as recommended by CDC.
This position is directly supervised by the Production Stage Manager and individual production’s stage managers.
- $345 weekly untaxed stipend
- $200 one time stipend to offset the costs of travel to Milwaukee for non-Greater Milwaukee area based residents
- Private bedroom in a shared apartment paid for by Milwaukee Rep (includes utilities and internet)
- Unlimited city bus pass for transportation too and from the theater
- Professional development and mentorship opportunities
- Free tickets to Rep productions, invitations to EPR Angel dinners and events, and a variety of professional training and workshop opportunities
- Access to our EPR Pantry for supplementary groceries