Purpose and Description
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Vice President of Marketing and Communications serves as a key leadership team member at a pivotal time for The Cradle. A new strategic direction points the organization toward greater sustainability, more relevance to the broader community, and deeper impact. The VP of Marketing and Communications helps drive this growth by shaping and leading strategies to effectively tell The Cradle’s story, reach new audiences, and reflect the quality and integrity of The Cradle brand.
In 2023, The Cradle celebrates its Centennial, a unique opportunity to raise awareness and support for the organization’s mission and vision for the next 100 years. The VP of Marketing and Communication, in partnership with the President & CEO, works to ensure Centennial strategy and messaging reflect the diversity of Cradle stakeholders and achieve brand, fundraising, and relationship goals.
Build on and lead the implementation of a comprehensive communication and marketing strategy to increase brand awareness, engagement, and visibility for The Cradle as well as support the growth of the donor base. The VP is responsible for managing a broad range of marketing projects and makes recommendations to the CEO, Board, and senior staff for all promotional campaigns and branding. The VP works to understand and advance departmental objectives across the organization, collaborating closely on and building buy-in for marketing initiatives and strategies. Core responsibilities of the VP of Marketing and Communications include:
- Designing, overseeing, and executing the organization’s strategic marketing, branding, campaign promotion, media, and public relations.
- Leading strategic visioning and implementation of the communications and marketing plan (external and internal) in alignment with organizational goals.
- Working collaboratively with the leadership team to ensure that communication and marketing strategies are integrated and holistic.
- Establishing and directing public relations strategies that enhance and promote the organization.
- Managing relationships with key internal and external partners, including serving as the primary liaison to digital marketing and other contracted agencies.
- Providing leadership and managing day-to-day operations for the Marketing and Communications Team (Director of Marketing and Communications, Marketing Coordinator).
- Refining and reviewing metrics in concert with agency partners to measure the effectiveness and success of messaging and media spend.
- Overseeing the development of collateral, including event publications, annual reports, and e-newsletters.
- Overseeing how The Cradle’s digital assets are leveraged and managed, including website and social media channels, to optimize brand awareness, raise resources, and engage various target audiences across multiple platforms.
- Developing paid and earned media strategies.
- Engaging with the Board on marketing strategy, reporting on progress and seeking input, when applicable.
- Responding quickly to crisis communication needs in an effective manner, providing guidance and recommendations on strategies to protect the brand and reputation of The Cradle.
- Building and managing an annual departmental budget.
· Driving is an essential function of this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field required.
- Minimum 10 years prior experience in marketing and/or communications, including at least 2 years of experience in a leadership role at a nonprofit organization.
- Experience managing teams and working with boards.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including strong persuasive writing capabilities.
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated professionalism, flexibility, good judgment, and commitment to teamwork.
- Belief that collaboration deepens impact with track record to back it up.
- Ability to be nimble and respond appropriately in varied situations.
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills among diverse constituent groups.
- Proven experience with nonprofit branding and proficient in using social media platforms.