724 E Huntington Drive, Monrovia, CA 91016
In 1990, a small group of dedicated volunteers with a desire to eliminate substandard housing in our community founded San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity. Thanks to our supporters, more than 200 local and international families have been able to build or repair their own homes here in Los Angeles’ San Gabriel Valley and beyond. Through the years, we have maintained our unrelenting determination to help families in need by offering a hand up, not a handout.
Through donations, shopping at our ReStores, volunteering or adding a voice to support affordable housing, everyone can help families achieve the strength, stability, and self-reliance they need to build better lives for themselves.
FLSA: Non-Exempt Full-Time
Pay Range: $20 – 27/hr.
As a key member of the Finance Department, the Accountant/Bookkeeper at San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity serves under the general supervision of the Director of Finance. This person will be responsible for the day-to-day variety of accounting, expense reconciling, administrative tasks, and office management. Duties will include providing support to our various teams and assisting in daily office needs.
Reporting Relationships and Organizational Impact
Upward Reporting Relationship:
Positions Reports to: Director of Finance
No oversight or accountability for others, an individual contributor
Internal and External:
Has regular contact with departments, employees and managers at all levels of the internal organization as well as with External organizations, banks, vendors and donor
May influence the formulation of organizational policy, contractual obligations, and employee morale
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1+ years of general accounting or bookkeeping experience
- Nonprofit accounting experience is a plus
- Knowledge of accounting in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles required
- Working knowledge of Blackbaud Raisers Edge and Financial Edge is a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel are required
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and cultural competency skills, organization, attention to detail, ability to work independently, and ability to multitask are essential
- Strong time management skills, including deadline prioritization of multiple projects with real-time timelines for assignments
- Strong skills in organization and planning, demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- High attention to accuracy and details
- Ability to work independently and proactively
- Prioritizing tasks, exercise, sound judgment and confidentiality with sensitive information
- Upbeat person with “team” attitude and ability to work collegially with other Habitat employees at all levels
- Demonstrate a strong alignment with our mission and our key business ethics: Excellence, Respect, Integrity, Compassion, and Grace
Essential Job Duties
- Assist in maintaining general ledger accounts including payroll, account payables, account receivables, and other related accounts
- Creates and posts prepaid schedule for recurring annual invoices
- Prepare full cycle A/P processing, including submitting invoice approvals, three-way match, and schedule weekly payments
- Assist with month-end closing process
- Reconciles all credit card activities and coordinates with cardholders for timely processing
- Prepare and process full cycle ReStore sales. Coordinate with ReStore managers to process chargebacks, place change orders, and additional support
- Oversee the donation entry process and review and posts in accordance with the guidelines
- Assists with the preparation and coordinator of annual audit
- Takes initiative to provide innovate and proactive solutions to problems that arise
- Completes tasks without requiring instruction or guidance from management
- Other related duties as assigned
Is committed to San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity’s mission to eliminate substandard housing and make affordable housing a matter of conscience and action
Fast paced general office environment. Some stress may occur; tasks have fixed deadlines. Requires sitting for extended periods of time, standing, visual acumen, manual dexterity and use of fingers for working with computer keyboards.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; and nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
SGV Habitat for Humanity actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications. SGV Habitat for Humanity is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider all qualified individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans, regardless of race, religion, age, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetics, gender identity, or any other legally protected characteristic. SGV Habitat for Humanity will not inquire about a job applicant's criminal conviction history prior to making a conditional offer of employment.