POSITION Portfolio Officer, Global Portfolio
LOCATION Nairobi, Kenya
Global Partnerships (GP) is an impact-first investor dedicated to expanding opportunity for people living in poverty. Impact-first investing means investing in a way that seeks the greatest possible social impact, while seeking to preserve capital with a modest financial return for investors. GP believes that impact-first investing has an essential role to play in advancing sustainable solutions to poverty for millions of people worldwide.
GP creates and manages impact-first investment funds that make loans and early-stage investments in social enterprises serving people living in poverty in less developed countries, primarily in Latin America and Africa. The GP team is comprised of mission-driven, dedicated, high-performing colleagues working primarily from offices in Seattle, Washington, Bogotá, Colombia, and Nairobi, Kenya. To learn more about Global Partnerships, please visit our website at www.globalpartnerships.org.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The GP Nairobi office team is comprised of five professionals: one Impact Officer, one Investment Analyst - Social Venture Fund, two Portfolio Directors, and a VP for Africa. The Portfolio Officer will play a key role supporting the team to accomplish the goals for the Global Portfolio (Africa and Asia) and GP.
This role will be responsible for the following:
- Develops a broad knowledge of all partners (borrower) candidates (MFIs/Agricultural Coops and Enterprises/Other Social Enterprises) operating in targeted countries and identifies, in collaboration with Portfolio Directors, candidates for GP funding
- Proactively seeks opportunities to build the debt portfolio through networking and other means of identifying new partners
- Schedules and conducts screening analysis of partner candidates to determine whether they are a good fit for GP funding
- Works in conjunction with the Capital and Impact Team, Social Investment Team, Portfolio Directors, and VP - Africa to ensure that candidates are aligned or are likely to become aligned with GP’s program initiatives
- Provides support to Portfolio Directors in the negotiation of the possible loan transactions with the partner candidates as well as the issuance of letters of interest with accompanying term sheets
- Supports the Portfolio Director in working with partner candidates to close negotiations resulting in signed term sheets
- Provides support to the VP - Africa and Portfolio Directors conducting due diligence with the partner candidate
- Provides support to the VP - Africa and Portfolio Directors completing well-written due diligence reports that are worthy of presentation to the managers of the Social Investment Team, to the Investment Committee, and to certain investors from whom consent is required
- Collaborates with the credit monitoring team to provide information and insight into the credit risk of partners and partner candidates
- Monitors and advises the Social Investment Team on external trends and events impacting the investment portfolio including market changes, regulatory changes, accounting standard changes, etc.
- Provides support and assistance to the Social Investment Team and the Capital and Impact Team for the portfolio management tools (i-Level, Salesforce, etc.) used to manage the impact and financial information used for analysis of new investments or to monitor our investment portfolio
- Translates oral and written information from French to English and vice versa
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate within and across teams and across cultures
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; capable of highly professional engagement with colleagues and partners
- Self-motivated work ethic, proactive; ability to see tasks through to completion independently
- Organized and capable of balancing multiple priorities, with great attention to detail and thoughtful knowledge management
- Has a passion for GP’s mission to expand opportunity for people living in poverty
- Embodies GP’s culture: Dedicated, Strategic, Collaborative, Aspirational, Learning, and Excellence
- University degree in business administration, finance, or a similar field required. MBA or other relevant master’s degree preferred
- 3 to 5 years of relevant professional experience in business analysis, strategy development, investment or market research, management consulting, finance, or another similar field
- Credit analysis experience for investments in financial institutions, social enterprises and/or experience in trade finance and asset-based lending
- Experience in impact investing, with specific knowledge of the microfinance industry, agricultural cooperatives, and social enterprises, and their key organizations in Sub Saharan Africa (Asia is a plus)
- Must be able to travel frequently throughout Africa and/or Asia
- Business language fluency in English and French required – Spanish or Portuguese will be a plus
- Must be able to legally work and reside in Nairobi, Kenya
Required Application Documents:
• Brief cover letter
Global Partnerships is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on ethnic origin/race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. For priority consideration, please apply by February 10th, 2023.
Due to the volume of applications, we will contact only those candidates selected for interviews – no follow-ups, please.
Finalists will be asked to submit references, including name, email, and phone number, of at least two former supervisors. All offers will be contingent upon reference checks as well as a background check.