The Senior Managing Director (SMD) will marry business development and philanthropy to build the market for and sell our solutions for private foundations. This role will expand our national footprint and is strategic to our growth plans for the West. The SMD will join a seasoned sales team and mature company as we continue to grow our business through our purpose-built software and services.
The SMD will represent Foundation Source and its offerings to high-net-worth families, foundation leaders, and trusted advisors (wealth, legal, accounting and philanthropy) in California and the broader West region. In building the market, the SMD will tap into their established networks, develop and execute on a plan to identify and meet centers of influence, and grow local networks by holding meetings (in-person and virtual), conducting webinars, doing public speaking, building awareness, and deepening relationships.
Using a consultative approach while being a true "hunter," the SMD will source opportunities for private foundation solutions. While the marketing and business development team will generate leads, the Managing Director will be responsible for sourcing most of the opportunity. Ultimately, the SMD owns the sales process from qualified lead through contracting, collaborating with internal subject matter experts, and especially working closely with client services to ensure a successful customer journey from sales to service.
The ideal candidate is tech savvy, experienced in sales, and grounded in philanthropy, with established professional networks in California and the West. As an engaging, stimulating communicator, poised and capable of projecting enthusiasm and warmth, the SMD will guide the sales process confidently toward the goal/close with a strong sense of urgency, initiative, and drive to get things done, and an emphasis on working with and through people in the process. A growth mindset and flexibility are essential.
Business Development and Sales (85%)
- Grow sales revenue and hit corporate goals
- Execute on Sales and firm-wide initiatives
- Grow your knowledge of the philanthropic sector and private, non-operating foundations
- Serve as a primary contact for business development in California and the West region
- Position value proposition, services, technology and fees to close sales
- Build and maintain positive, trust-based relations with influencers, stakeholders, and decision-makers to cultivate referrals
- Participate in events, speaking engagements, webinars, presentations, networking gatherings, or education sessions to expand referral sources
- Work closely with Business Development Representatives and Directors of Business Development on coordinated lead generation efforts and actively work qualified leads to drive toward region goals
- Share best practices and partner closely with the Sales team on success stories and strategies for increasing business
Sales Operations (15%)
- Manage sales cadence for a high-performance practice that effectively progresses opportunities through the sales funnel stages
- Lead West Region team
- Use Salesforce.com and to record all sales activity and manage pipeline
- Generate proposals and contracts to close sales
- Generate sales reports to drive sales strategy and results
- 15-plus years of progressive experience as a sales specialist for financial, legal, family office or philanthropy services
- Proven results in a quota-oriented sales environment
- Established networks in professional advisory services
- Critical, strategic thinker who can also focus on details
- Proven leadership in inspiring teams and building markets as a collaborative “Player/Coach” team member a plus
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, while prioritizing objectives to achieve maximum results
- Persuasive, professional and consultative oral and written communication skills
- Located in California
- Ability to maintain a home office
- Ability to travel without restrictions
- Advanced degree preferred