As Legal Counsel, you will report directly to the General Counsel and provide all-around support and advice on Merchant Bank of Indiana’s various legal matters with a particular focus on real estate financing transactions, both single-family and multi-family, and contract review and drafting. You will work directly with business partners, including department leaders and executives, to identify and resolve issues and may have direct interaction with the Bank’s customers. Successful candidates will be comfortable independently handling a broad range of issues and must be proactive, pragmatic, and solutions-oriented. We are a small team that supports multiple business units on a variety of topics related to banking and real estate laws and we are looking for an attorney who likes to solve business problems, likes to learn within their discipline and industry, is happy to do the day-to-day administrative tasks and someone who knows how to roll up their sleeves and get the work done.
After one year as our Legal Counsel, you'll know you were successful if you...
- Draft loan extensions, modifications, and other communications to borrowers.
- Assist business partners with borrower defaults and loan workout situations.
- Review and advise on software contracts and resolve issues with technology vendors.
- Draft contracts and other forms for retail banking, treasury management, and other lines of business with the goal of simultaneously improving the customer experience and reducing the Bank’s risk.
- Assist with handling reviews and examinations by government agencies and regulatory bodies
What we are looking for...
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school.
- Admitted to practice law in any U.S. state and in good standing.
- 3-5 years experience, primarily in banking and/or real estate financing. Experience must provide for an understanding of first-lien real estate mortgages and drafting of documents related to such transactions.
- Experience advising on data security and/or dealing with government agencies and regulatory bodies is a plus.
- Must work from Carmel, Indiana office. No remote opportunities.
Ranked as the top-performing U.S. public bank by S&P Global Market Intelligence, Merchants Bancorp is a diversified bank holding company headquartered in Carmel, Indiana, operating multiple lines of business, including multifamily housing and healthcare facility financing and servicing, mortgage warehouse financing, retail, and correspondent residential mortgage banking, agricultural lending, and traditional community banking. Merchants Bancorp conducts its business through its direct and indirect subsidiaries, Merchants Bank of Indiana, Merchants Capital Corp., Farmers-Merchants Bank of Illinois, and Merchants Mortgage, a division of Merchants Bank of Indiana.
Merchants understands the positive impact of making employees feel valued and is proud to once again be recognized by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce’s Best Places to Work Program. This is the seventh year in a row that Merchants was recognized as a Best Places to Work organization.