The Cradle’s Nursery Manager is responsible for the overall functioning of the Nursery. This includes completing admission and discharge procedures, interfacing with the social services and medical staff, establishing positive contact with parents (biological and adoptive), supervising the approximately 35-member Nursery staff and volunteers, and the overall supervision of child-care provided in the unit.
The Nursery Manager, in collaboration with the Co-Director of Adoption & Family Support/Executive Director for Adoption, is responsible for developing and maintaining care standards, procedures, and policies for the Nursery consistent with best practice infant care standards and DCFS requirements for Child Care Institutions.
- Oversee all care provided to infants in the Nursery and ensures all recommended follow-up care is arranged for or provided to infants in the Nursery.
- Ensures that Nursery staff follow all requirements including but not limited to blood borne pathogen awareness, universal precautions, safe sleep positioning, CPR certification and other applicable health, safety, and child welfare requirements.
- Oversee orientation and training for all new Nursery hires.
- Communicate with hospitals regarding possible admissions and obtains information regarding health and needs of infants from hospital staff prior to hospital discharge.
- Request and review medical records for pertinent information and reports information to appropriate sources.
- Oversees maintenance of child records according to required DCFS standards.
- In collaboration with the Senior Charge Nurse, works with Adoption and Family Support Team on planning for infants; also work collaboratively with other Cradle teammates, including other clinical team members and administrative personnel.
- Conscientiously observe the confidential nature of the agency’s service to its clients.
- Maintain current knowledge of recommended newborn/infant standards of care.
- Develop and deliver training to Nursery staff relative to the needs of the department.
- Update and revise procedures in the Nursery Training Manual in accordance with DCFS standards.
- Oversee The Cradle’s volunteer Cuddler program (currently on-hold).
- Prepare written performance evaluations of all Nursery staff.
- Plan and facilitate regular Nursery staff meetings.
- Create monthly shift schedules to ensure adequate coverage.
- Approve timecards and time off requests.
- Participate in rotating on-call schedule with Senior Charge Nurse (rotating by pay period).
The following requirements are necessary for jobholders to perform the essential functions of the job:
- Commitment to The Cradle’s mission and values.
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing or related field.
- 3-5 years’ experience managing nurses or other healthcare professionals in a healthcare, residential or congregate care setting. (Experience with pediatrics or neonatology is preferred.)
- Current Illinois Registered Nursing license, CPR and SIDS certification.
- Flu vaccination required.
- Intermediate level proficiency level with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel).
Highly skilled in the following areas:
- Organization and attention to details
- Written and verbal communications
- Interpersonal skills
- This position works in a sterile infant nursery environment within a DCFS licensed child welfare agency.
- Available for after-hours calls and urgent matters on a rotating basis.
- Some heavy lifting required. Must be able to care for infants through 2 years of age.
- Must be able to bend, stand, and have mobility up and down stairs.
- Staff must be fully vaccinated, have at least one booster shot, and be willing to provide evidence of Covid-19 vaccination status. Masks are required in the Nursery.
- All staff are required to undergo a background check, fingerprinting, and medical exam to meet DCFS requirements.
Direct reports (Staff of approximately 35)
Charge Nurses, Infant Aides