Who We Are
Straughan Environmental, Inc. is a successful, rapidly growing, woman owned business that provides high quality and cost-effective consulting services to a wide variety of clients in the governmental and private sectors. Straughan is committed to advancing sustainable and resilient communities. We are experts in environmental planning, design, assessments, and policy. Our staff consists of wildlife and wetlands scientists; geomorphologists and hydrologists, civil and environmental engineers; inspectors; biologists and botanists; planners; cultural resource specialists; and GIS and CAD professionals. This combination of technical expertise and an understanding of policy make Straughan a highly competitive firm and a great place to advance your career.
Straughan is currently seeking a GIS Technician to join our team. The position will support a client in Baltimore City with a variety of data management and documentation needs to improve the efficiency and accuracy of business operations. The ideal candidate is a problem-solver that can manage deadlines, provide regular progress updates, and respond to shifting priorities. Strong organizational skills and the ability to communicate effectively in both speech and writing are a must. This is a hybrid position: 3 days in the office and 2 days virtual/work-from-home.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Data entry, creation, editing, manipulation, and processing for engineering records
- Manages geospatial datasets and metadata on multiple simultaneous projects.
- Analyzes technical problems, devise new approaches, and alternative solutions
- Develops or maintains GIS applications using a combination of GIS software, web-based development tools, and/or Windows development tools
- Processes and analyzes raster and vector geospatial data
- Creates scripts/models/macros in multiple platforms
- Create and disseminate production workflow documents
- Field data collection
- Coordination of geospatial data across platforms (desktop, tablet, GPS receivers, etc.)
- Assists with the preparation of reports, graphics, tables, and map figures.
- QA/QC of field collected data incorporating topology rules
Bachelor’s degree in Geography, GIS, or related field
- Knowledge of ESRI’s software, including ArcGIS, ArcGIS Online, and data collection tools
- Ability to perform work outside under variable terrain and weather conditions
- Knowledge of cartography, coordinate systems, map projections, and topology
- Proficiency in basic computer applications, especially MS Office (Word, Excel, and Access)
- Strong verbal, organizational and written communication skills
- Master’s degree in Geography, GIS, or related field
- Experience and interest in emerging technologies
- Drone piloting and sensor data collection and manipulation experience
- Experience with Maryland IMAP and other publicly available data sources
- Proficiency in MicroStation or AutoCAD
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position as required by applicable law.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at a time
- Must be able to traverse various types of terrain for extended periods of time
- Physical ability to perform outdoor field work and in unpleasant field conditions
- Physically able to conduct inspections and carry equipment used for inspections
As a condition of employment, Straughan employees will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 except those for whom are legally entitled to an accommodation. Proof of vaccination will need to be submitted as part of the interview/hiring process.
Straughan is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status