Peju Winery is a family owned and operated winery located in Rutherford, in the heart of Napa Valley. Farming organically and sustainably, our estate-grown fruit develops into award winning wines that exhibit a graceful pairing of power and elegance. Peju Winery has been awarded Best Place to Work by the Northbay Business Journal for four years running. We are a Certified Green Winery committed to protecting the environment, providing extraordinary customer service, and recruiting smart, talented people to work with us.
The primary duties and responsibilities are to perform standard biological, microbiological and chemical tests on products from grapes to finished wine in an efficient and organized manner. This position is responsible for ensuring the quality of the wine as it pertains to all lab analysis, quality control monitoring of wine, data analysis and data recording accuracy and communicating all results to winemaking team.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform all daily lab and quality control analyses utilizing a variety of techniques and equipment.
- Maintain wine analysis data files
- Assist in monitoring fermentation (alcoholic, ML) from start to completion and keep winemaking staff informed of the status of unstable lots (stuck fermentation, ML, etc.) or instances of contamination.
- Assist with troubleshooting lab equipment.
- Adhere to laboratory methods and protocols.
- Recommend methodology for increasing lab efficiency.
- Ensure the accuracy of laboratory records and timely database updates.
- Work with the rest of the production team to maximize data tracking efficiency and the usefulness of the data tracked.
- Assist in the organization, set-up and scheduling of tastings relating to winemaking. These may include winery trials, comparisons to competitors or educational tastings.
- Help with all aspects of Bottling and Harvest as needed.
- Process and test vineyard grape samples to track maturity.
- Conduct cellar and vineyard sampling as needed.
- Maintain a clean and organized workspace.
- All other duties as needed and assigned.
- BS in Enology, Fermentation Science, Biological Science, Chemistry or equivalent preferred
- Students or Recent graduates with a passion for learning, efficient minded and willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish the goal
- Ability to work independently and perform tasks and communicate results with a sense of urgency
- Knowledgeable regarding safety policies and procedures
- Ability to communicate effectively with supervisor and staff
- Knowledge and understanding of standard tests and analysis performed in winemaking
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Wine knowledge necessary
- Basic knowledge of laboratory equipment and tasks to be performed. Knowledge of Innovint and Admeo Y15 preferred, but not required.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Flexibility to be scheduled for work in both locations (Rutherford and Carneros)