We are looking for an empathetic, dedicated individual who has experienced mental health and/or substance misuse to join our team. You will play a critical role on our 24/7 call center team, drawing on your own experience to provide support by phone, chat, and text to individuals who are experiencing emotional distress and/or challenges with substance misuse.
What you will do
- You will utilize your own lived experience to field calls, chats, and texts from adults and youth who are experiencing mental health crises, listening carefully to their needs and providing information and referrals to community-based providers.
- You will follow up with individuals who your fellow call specialists believe would benefit from peer support, offering empathy and emotional support.
- You will use technology to document communications, ensuring continuity and follow-up as needed.
When and where you will work
Monday through Friday 8:00am - 12:00pm (20 hours per week) or
Monday through Friday 12:00pm - 4:00pm (20 hours per week)
Training takes place Monday – Friday, 8a – 4:30p regardless of work shift, for approximately 8 weeks.
This is a position that will start off working in office and work from home will be per supervisor discretion.
Why you should work here
- An environment where you will constantly be learning, including professional development and opportunities for growth within United Way
- The opportunity to be part of a team of individuals passionate of raising the quality of childcare in our communities
The Pay & Benefits
- Competitive pay -- $24.50/hour plus a terrific suite of benefits
- Additional $0.75 per worked hour for certified Spanish- or Portuguese-speaking staff ($1.50 per hour worked for both languages) after 90 days on the job
- An outright 8% 401(k) contribution.
- 10 days of Paid Time Off in a calendar year – you begin accruing immediately!
- 13 paid holidays per year
- Supportive, culturally diverse, and inclusive company culture.
- And more!
Get hired and get $1,500!*
- $500 in the payroll following 30 days on the job
- $1,000 in the payroll following 90 days on the job
*Applies to those new to United Way of CT only
Who you are
- You have a high school diploma or GED.
- You love helping people, and can think on your feet, staying calm in a crisis, de-escalating situations, and working with the caller to develop the best course of action for their situation.
- You are good at multi-tasking and are comfortable providing support to many callers in short succession.
- You are comfortable learning and using new technologies.
United Way of Connecticut, Inc. endeavors to make www.ctunitedway.org accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact (860) 571-7500. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
United Way fights for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community. We unequivocally denounce racism and ethnic discrimination in all forms, and we remain committed to building a future of greater opportunity and true equity for all people living in our communities. We act by tackling the structural barriers to equity from past and present systemic racism that have impeded the health, safety and wellbeing of traditionally marginalized people.