DESC is a MichiganWorks! Agency providing demand driven recruitment and training services to employers seeking Detroit talent, alongside job search, work readiness and occupational training to job seekers. In Detroit, we expect training to lead to a job…and that jobs lead to careers. DESC provides services to thousands of job seekers and would-be job seekers, and hundreds of Metro Detroit business through our partnerships with community-based and faith-based organizations, and preferred provider partners, backed by federal, state, local, philanthropic and employer investments. We support thousands of jobseekers looking for employment opportunities. We are on the forefront of ensuring that the City’s resurgence includes its residents. We reach out to Detroiters who are not in the workforce and help them get the training and support needed to compete in today’s market. We are looking for a Human Resources Manager who can help us sustain and accelerate our internal strategies to be a great place to work. Join us and work with us on the front lines where what you do everyday matters.
Must be well-versed in each of the human resources disciplines – compensation and benefits, training and development, employee relations, and recruitment and selection. Must be skilled in developing plans so that leaders and managers can develop and sustain high morale, while creating a workplace environment that is of benefit to both employees and DESC. Must be able to effectively utilize communication, leadership, and project management skills to get things done. Must be able to analyze situations and proactively identify pertinent problems/issues, collect relevant information, evaluate realistic options, and recommend or implement appropriate courses of action.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop HR strategy and pro-actively offer advice to leadership on topics including, but not limited to, employee attraction, recruitment, retention, corporate culture, and safety.
- Critically analyze existing HR programs and policies on an ongoing basis and recommend improvements.
- Conduct and/or organize employee training and orientation.
- Supervise benefits, payroll, wellness plans, engagement activities, with the assistance of the HR & Benefit Coordinator.
- Manage and consult with external partners, such as payroll companies and benefits administrators.
- Promote HR programs to create an efficient and conflict-free workplace.
- Work to resolve work related issues to collaboration with management and colleagues.
- Provide guidance to managers on performance management practices within their departments including employee professional development opportunities and corrective actions.
- Collaborate with company leaders and management to identify employee training and development needs.
- Ensure legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resource federal and state requirements, conducting investigations, maintaining records, and representing the organization at hearings.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of State and Federal HR Laws, regulations, procedures, and standards.
- Enforce management guidelines by preparing, updating, and recommending human resource policies and procedures.
- Retain historical human resource records by designing a filing and retrieval system and keeping past and current records.
- Lead annual departmental audits for various benefit programs.
- Cultivate professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS
- 7+ years prior, progressive Human Resources business partner experience or HR generalist experience, with 2 years in Management.
- People oriented and results driven.
- Excellent active listening, negotiation, and presentation skills.
- Competence to build and effectively manage interpersonal relationships at all levels for the company.
- Experience with Paylocity (or similar fully integrated payroll system) highly desirable
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business or related field strongly preferred.
- PHR/SPHR professional certification preferred.
Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC), an Equal Opportunity employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity within the organization. DESC actively seeks applications from women, persons of color, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups.