Texas Legal Services Center’s (TLSC)’s Support Team provides administrative and paralegal support to the entire organization, including client-based programs and administration. The Intake Specialist is responsible for intake duties including responding to calls, online inquiries, and online chats from the low-income population in need of legal services. At times, the phone calls and inquiries received by the incumbent in this position are from people who are in crisis mode and may have experienced a traumatic event, i.e., victim of violent crime and the incumbent in this position is expected to respond in a compassionate, culturally sensitive, non-judgmental, and trauma-informed manner. In addition, the incumbent in this position performs front desk receptionist duties while taking care of the main phone line and completing general clerical duties.
The intake specialist in this position is also expected to:
Maintain the highest ethical and professional standards; embrace and support TLSC’s overall mission; and comply with all grant requirements, regulations, standards, policies, and confidentiality requirements.
This is a grant funded position.
- Conduct intake processes and pre-acceptance screening assessments, while ensuring appropriate information is collected and entered in the case management system, and client confidentiality requirements are maintained.
- Perform front desk receptionist duties including answer incoming telephone calls, determine purpose of calls, and forward calls to appropriate parties as well as welcome on-site visitors, determine nature of their visit, and announce visitors to appropriate personnel while ensuring all safety procedures and protocols are followed.
- Register and schedule applicants for recurring legal clinics.
- Keep informed of community resources currently available to ensure clients are referred to the appropriate source.
- Maintain office supply inventory, including ordering and receiving supplies.
- Receive, review and route incoming mail to appropriate parties as well as prepare outgoing mail for distribution.
- Follow all confidentiality requirements when working with clients and employees, and/or handling correspondence, files, and documents and/or when participating in confidential discussions.
- Scan documents, assist with large mailouts as well as send and receive mail and packages from offsite post office box as needed.
- Assist with preparation of meeting materials and event planning processes for organization events such as board meetings and staff meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- Minimum of two years’ experience working in an office setting providing customer or client service support in a confidential setting.
Knowledge / Skills (Required)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Word and Excel.
- Strong verbal and written communications and interpersonal skills.
- Effective organizational skills.
- Ability to establish rapport and deal tactfully and professionally with clients, visitors, and the general public.
- Ability to multi-task, work well under pressure, and complete required assignments accurately in accordance with required deadlines.
- Ability to work with clients in a compassionate, culturally sensitive, patient, trauma-informed, and non-judgmental manner.
- Proficient in conversational Spanish.
Knowledge / Skills (Preferred)
- Proficiency with, or the ability to learn, LegalServer (TLSC’s case management system).
- Experience working with Adobe, Microsoft Planner, SharePoint, Teams and OneDrive.
- Sedentary work that involves sitting most of the time.
- Occasional bending, squatting, and kneeling.
- Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally, and a negligible amount of force as needed, at times to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
*This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.