JOB TITLE: Director, Individual Giving
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
FLSA STATUS: Full-Time, Exempt
THIS IS A HYBRID ROLE (2 IN-OFFICE DAYS ARE REQUIRED AT OUR NYC OFFICE)
Mission: To build and support mentoring relationships to ignite the biggest possible futures for youth
Our Vision: All youth achieve their full potential
Our Values: Put Youth First; Engage with Empathy; Advance Diversity, Equity & Inclusion; Operate with Integrity; and Invest in Learning & Innovation
As the nation's first and NYC's largest youth mentoring organization, Big Brothers Big Sisters of New York City (BBBS of NYC) connects generations of New Yorkers by matching caring adult mentors, Bigs, with New York City youth, Littles. Through evidence based, goal-centered, professionally supported programming, BBBS of NYC provides consistent support and guidance to matches that result in longer, stronger match relationships-and advance the social-emotional development as well as the academic progress of young people across the five boroughs.
BBBS of NYC seeks a Director of Individual Giving to engage our current donors and expand our pipeline of individual donors. Currently reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, this team member will work collaboratively to develop innovative engagement strategies that build BBBS of NYC’s donor community to raise critical funds in support of our mission and vision. As an integral member of the Development Team, this person will implement thoughtful donor acquisition, solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship plans to increase annual revenue from individuals. As a measure of their success, the Director will be tasked with increasing the number of individual donors, the size of donations made by these donors, and converting annual supporters into major donors.
The Director of Individual Giving will play an integral role in shaping the future of donor fundraising at BBBS of NYC, and their efforts will have a direct impact on the financial sustainability of the organization. To be successful in this position, the Director must have demonstrated experience in generating revenue from individual donors, managing relationships effectively, stewarding donors, and managing a high volume of activity with cross-functional implications and impact.
- Directly manage and implement strategies to identify, solicit, steward, cultivate and grow our pipeline of existing and new individual donors
- Manage a large portfolio of prospects with the potential of converting individual donations into major gifts.
- Cultivate and steward a dedicated portfolio of current and prospective donors
- Support CEO in building and managing their portfolio of donors
- Coordinate with VP, Special Events & Donor Cultivation to convert event guests into recurring individual donors, advancing BBBS of NYC’s fundraising strategy
- Professionally and clearly articulate Big Brothers Big Sisters of NYC’s vision and funding priorities verbally and in writing to prospective and current donors.
- Collaborate with other staff (i.e. Program, Quality Assurance, Finance, Communications) to develop innovative strategies for increasing monthly donors with the goal of building a consistent pipeline of individual contributors to the organization;
- Conceptualize and implement membership programs and donor cultivation events
- Create personalized cultivation strategies for annual donors; develop meaningful, mission-focused engagement opportunities throughout the calendar year to bring donors closer to our mission
- Responsible for core fundraising metrics including early prospect outreach (cold calling), face-to-face visits, identification of new prospects, growth in cumulative giving, dollars raised, and donors secured
- Develop expense budget recommendations necessary to implement direct mail campaigns and special events
- Plan and execute events to engage prospective donors in partnership with the BBBS of NYC trustees
- Partner with cross-functional teams to develop communications and strategies for individual donors to provide consistent, mission focused updates to our donor community
- Manage designated relationships with Trustees to effectively execute on fundraising goals
- Manage donor data and information to ensure accurate record keeping, pledge tracking, acknowledgements and maintain accurate contact information for all individual donors
- Other duties as assigned
- 5-8 years’ experience of successful, proven fundraising experience with a focus on individual donor fundraising. Experience in a nonprofit organization strongly preferred
- Documented success in personally implementing sophisticated, cultivation and acquisition strategies that use a relationship-building and moves management approach leading to successful gift closures
- Ability to persuasively communicate Big Brothers Big Sisters of NYC’s priorities to an external audience
- Knowledge of the New York City and Greater New York Metro Area fundraising landscape with demonstrated understanding of trends in philanthropy and individual giving
- Commitment to BBBS of NYC’s mission, vision and values
- Documented strength in meaningful relationship building, management and growth
- Experience managing relationships with Trustees and other executive leaders internal and external to the organization
- Resourceful work style with the ability to work independently and as a team player, take initiative, manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- A collaborative mindset and ability to engage multiple stakeholders and manage, motivate, and navigate multiple initiatives simultaneously across cross-functional teams
- Proven track record of meeting event fundraising goals
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills, including the ability to identify and work through challenges, underscored by strong judgment and emotional intelligence.
- Ability to plan, introduce and lead processes that enable high-quality growth in donor pipeline
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Raiser’s Edge preferred;
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Salary Range: $85,000 - $100,000
- Dental, Health, Vision Insurance (immediate eligibility)
- 403b Retirement Plan
- Hybrid Work Schedule/Flexible Work Arrangements
- 14 Federal Holidays + Winter Office Closure
- Generous Vacation & Sick Time
How To Apply: Please apply with a cover letter and resume to Big Brothers Big Sisters of NYC’s career center.
Applications without a cover letter will NOT be reviewed.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of New York City is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of New York City does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting Human Resources at 212-686-2042 (phone, TTY, fax, email, etc.), or email@example.com
Applicants with disabilities may contact our team via telephone, fax, email, and other means to request and arrange for accommodations. If you need assistance to accommodate a disability, you may request accommodation at any time. Please contact Human Resources at 212-686-2042 (phone, TTY, fax, email, etc.), or firstname.lastname@example.org